Sirius on Dish? Who cares!

So, I take it that where you live, you can get 60 plus comm radio stations that have the exact same programming as Sirius?

Since Sirius has come to E*, i've been finding myself listening to music much more often than I did two month's ago and watching less and less TV. You just cann't beat the variety that Sirius has and it may just make a great item to put on my Christmas "wish list"!

Conjuror said:
I don't understand all this excitement about Sirius radio on Dish. Now I suppose to convert my expensive TV set to be a radio tuner? Sorry, but I thought TVs have another function.
Charlie, give us some good HDTV channels!

I like Sirius but....

I think what would make it better is some kind of picture and band info ala Music Choice. :)

I pump the music outside to my pool area. I always get a look when I change the music channel with my UHF remote next to the pool....

I love the idea that we have well over 100 music channels right now. Plus thanks to my receiver that can play two sources concurrently I can listen to the music in Zone 2 outside, while my kids play with the XBox inside or watch a DVD.

I also like the ability to get "Digital Satellite Music" without having to subscribe to another service for a monthly fee with another antenna.

Here is my problem: I want to use my TV set to watch TV NOT to turn it in some kind of a radio tuner. Some will say, "well you don't have to listen to Sirius". Fine, I don't. However, the problem is in Dish's commitment which is certainly not in improving PQ on SD and providing more HDTV channels. They have very limited bandwidth and therefore they already use too much compression on SD channels and now giving away (again) valuable bandwidth for radio stations?!
More crappy channels they have, we get more compressed picture. That is why Dish's SD picture looks horrible on large screens. And that is why I don't see them adding more HDTV channels in near future. They prefer quantity over quality.

I love the music channels. I have a whole house audio system with music in all the rooms and in the backyard. I wasn't crazy about having D.J.'s between songs but it isn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

I wasn't really listening much at first, but as a late I have found a few good stations and I am really enjoying it.
If I am still enjoying in a few months I will consider it for the car.

Conjuror said:
Here is my problem: I want to use my TV set to watch TV NOT to turn it in some kind of a radio tuner. Some will say, "well you don't have to listen to Sirius". Fine, I don't. However, the problem is in Dish's commitment which is certainly not in improving PQ on SD and providing more HDTV channels. They have very limited bandwidth and therefore they already use too much compression on SD channels and now giving away (again) valuable bandwidth for radio stations?!
More crappy channels they have, we get more compressed picture. That is why Dish's SD picture looks horrible on large screens. And that is why I don't see them adding more HDTV channels in near future. They prefer quantity over quality.

Sounds like your with the wrong provider. Dish has always positioned itself as the "value" service. This is not going to change. D* picture isn't significantly better than E* so your not likely to be happy with them either. Want more HDTV? Try VOOM or your local cable provider if they are an acceptable alternative. If your really fanatical about picture quality, have the $ and room,
nothing beats C-band on a BUD.

NightRyder

Dish offers more choice than cable or DirecTV... The inclusion of Sirius is just another perk... its better than Music Choice, and I like the DJs.

Dish offering Sirius is the straw that broke the camels back for me... switching over from DirectV and regular cable.

I am not going to lie - I love Sirius on Dish. I liked the Sirius programming enough to buy a Kenwood DT 7000S home unit a few months ago. There is a considerable amount of TV watching and Sirius listening that goes on in my home. With a push of a button I swicth the audio from the Kenwood to the TV if something looks interesting on DISH at the moment.

Weekend mornings and late at night I listen to Sirius through Dish because the SQ is a hair better because of the higher bit rate on Dish. I do have a word of caution for those listening to Sirius, if you do it long enough you will become addicted. ;)

I leave my tv off when listening to Sirius through my Home Theater System. I Love the almost ga-ga free music. You should have to listen to Rick and Bubba on our local radio station. I LOVE Ga-GA free music. Most disc jockeys talk tooooo much.

I'm a classical music lover and live far enough away from most good sources so listen most of the time via the new Sirius classic channels. I think it is a great addition to the Dish lineup.

itsonthedish said:
Dish offering Sirius is the straw that broke the camels back for me... switching over from DirectV and regular cable.
[edited out silly comment made before I had my morning caffeine ...]

I am very happy that Sirius is on Dish. I was already a subscriber to Sirius (couple of years) because FM radio had turned into pure garbage. (mindless DJ's laughing at their own jokes, commercials, bland music) It is great now to be able to listen to it in the house as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)