Sirius "trunk" radios

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
With 2.0 coming, I've accepted that in 2 or 3 years my Sirius radio will be obsolete and useless. When I had to replace my failed dash radio in my 2008 Jetta, I learned that the Sirius part of the "radio system" was actually a separate box, presumably in the trunk.

Any chance these things are standard and work with many radios? IOW, might it be possible when Sirius completely shifts over, that I might be able to buy a new version of that box and keep service? I tend to keep vehicles 10 years or more.

Anybody know how it works?

Pre 2.0 radios should work for at least 10 more years. They are still being installed in new 2012 and 2013 model cars. Based on past history, factory equipment has almost zero chance of being upgraded, easier and cheaper to just replace.

You've certainly gotten different info than I have. I sure hope you're right. But it seems doubtful that they will hold off regaining spectrum for that long. What is it, 30% they hope to regain?

I was just hoping they had a standard box that they could interface with many factory dash radios, and use the same one year after year. If you're right, it won't matter.

Yep. It is my understanding that hardware wise, the change is minor. Many older XM radios are reputed to be able to be programmed to receive the new signals.

But I have yet to read anything substantive officially. Just leaked stuff from quite some time ago.

After a bit more research: 2.0 radios sold today are only the portables. As stated above, none for vehicles until 2013, so rglore is right, I should have a few more years to go. And it's way too early to determine replacements.

I have learned, however, that there are approximately ten different Sirius vehicle units that remotely connect to standard radios. I can't determine which is in my Jetta (which, BTW, is a 2009 not 2008 as I finger fumbled above), but that hardly matters because good luck getting one from anyone other than VW. I can't even find it- it's not in the trunk, maybe behind the dash.

Well Golly Gee. Under a kick plate which I never before paid any attention to, there's a - something. Sure LOOKS like it could be a radio component, but it doesn't match any of the pictures of other units, and is kinda large. Only thing other than cryptic numbers on it is "Golf A5 amp" so I'm guessing it's not Sirius, just an extra amp for the "premium SDRS" radio.

Pictures shortly.

Sorry the quality is poor. Bad conditions + 3GS.

Jetta frt seat 1.JPGJetta frt seat 2.JPG

I've heard many XMs, but no Sirius radios, can be upgraded w/new firmware. But SiriusXM is so good at keeping things under wraps, who knows WHEN we'll hear anything definite and reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)