sirius xm on the hopper

harveystern

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
miami fl
Hi love the hopper and joey, yet when i play the sirius xm channels the music details do not move around. The question is wont this cause burn in? Thanks Harv

Sweet!

The availability of Sirius channels on DISH is one of the reasons keeping me from switching to Direct or cable!

Has there been any indication of how the channels will look with the album art? Is it going to be a static screen similar to the Music Choice on cable, or more like the screensaver approach on the current 622/722 interface with just the art added? I think it would be cool if they could follow the format that the Pandora app uses on the newer Samsung blu-ray players. Basically it is just the album art with song info below it that floats around the screen as a screensaver while the music plays.

For that matter...will the new album show on the older receivers, or just the Hopper/Joey?

DWS44 said:
Has there been any indication of how the channels will look with the album art? Is it going to be a static screen similar to the Music Choice on cable, or more like the screensaver approach on the current 622/722 interface with just the art added? I think it would be cool if they could follow the format that the Pandora app uses on the newer Samsung blu-ray players. Basically it is just the album art with song info below it that floats around the screen as a screensaver while the music plays.

For that matter...will the new album show on the older receivers, or just the Hopper/Joey?

Just Hopper/Joey.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

This would be my only complaint with the hopper. On directv if you paused tv for more than 10 minutes or if you were on a music channel, a screen saver would come up. I have no screen saver with the hopper. Tried pausing tv on my LCD for over a half hour and nothing. Makes me worried about one of the kids pausing tv on our plasma and then forgetting about it.

I never liked plasma anyway not only is it heavy and hot but it has burn-in. LCD is the future. I have always avoided plasma and went with LCD. LCD has improved greatly over the years to where most (if not all) advantages that plasma had are no longer an advantage. To me it's kinda like the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD debate, I chose Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray won! Placing my bets on LCD winning out in the long run as well!

GaryPen said:
You're right. Other than superior image quality, plasma has no advantage over LCD.

Exactly! I will not switch to LCD for my main viewing sets until the pq is superior to plasma and they have a long way to go.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The image quality gap between LCDs and Plasmas has been closed for at least 2 years now. LED backlighting solved the contrast issues.

The preference of Plasma vs. LCD is extremely subjective. For some, they believe the "pop" and saturation of an LCD along with dejudder feature for film and sharpness or superior "clarity" provide the superior image in their opinion and think the LCD's are good enough on contrast and blacks, along with the mat finish of most LCD's that make Plasma not a practical solution for some rooms.

On the other hand, if one prefers the superior black levels and the look of a plasma that is more like the old CRT's and prefer film to look like its soft grainy origin, than Plasma is king along with Plasma's incredible value compared to other display technologies. While there is no need for dejudder for film using a Plasma HDTV, Plasma does have its own fast motion problems.

The images are so different from each other, it is as far from objective as such subjective preferences can be.

3HaloODST said:
The image quality gap between LCDs and Plasmas has been closed for at least 2 years now. LED backlighting solved the contrast issues.

I couldn't disagree more. But that is a fight for a different thread.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Well, we've strayed so much, I'll comment too, off topic. I find plasma better for darkened rooms. not sun lit rooms. But for 3D, from what I've seen, 3D on plasma is better. I have little interest in 3D as it is today.

OLED is the future, ESP in the 4 K version.

It has been lessened, not closed. But, if I'm ever in the mood to watch all of the life sucked out of a motion picture so that it looks like a daytime soap opera, I'll be sure to pick up one of the new LCD models.

It has been lessened, not closed. But, if I'm ever in the mood to watch all of the life sucked out of a motion picture so that it looks like a daytime soap opera, I'll be sure to pick up one of the new LCD models.

What you are referring to 120Hz dejudder, and you're right, it sucks, but all you have to do is turn it off. LCD is brighter than Plasma, and LED backlighting has solved the issues with backlight bleeding. Response rate is no longer an issue, so where does that leave Plasma? Only advantage is slightly looking more "film-like." Disadvantages? Burn in, power consumption, weight.

What you are referring to 120Hz dejudder, and you're right, it sucks, but all you have to do is turn it off. LCD is brighter than Plasma, and LED backlighting has solved the issues with backlight bleeding. Response rate is no longer an issue, so where does that leave Plasma? Only advantage is slightly looking more "film-like." Disadvantages? Burn in, power consumption, weight.

Regarding your "disadvantages":
Burn in - I have 4 plasma tvs ranging from 4 years old to 1 week old. I have never experienced any burn in on any of them (note: I game and watch non full screen (letterbox) on 3 of the 4)
Power consumption - I could not care less. The day I start making a TV watching decision based on my power bill is the day I stop watching TV and get a second job
Weight - really? hang it on the wall and forget it are you carrying around your TV?

Regarding your "advantage":
Looking "slightly more film like" is not the real advantage although that is a result of the deeper black levels.

Show me any respected videophile that says LCD has a better picture than Plasma.

LCD is "more than good enough" for the great, uncritical, masses. That's where the money is to be made. Hopefully, the videophile market will remain strong enough to keep PQ improvements coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts