siting a non SWM 3 LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishwhiz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Gulf Coast TEXAS
The inst. say to rough tune dish to 101 and lock down, then fine tune. then go to 103 on birdogUSB plus unit and check stregnth on 103 for highest # then go back to 101 and peak then check 103 again.... QUESTION- which 103 sat setting do I load into my birdog????????

Last edited:
Tuning a non SWM Slieline 3

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm trying to tune a non SWM Slimline-3 with older Channel Master Sat Signal Meter 1005IFD and a new H-21 receiver. Mine is a "tailgating" set up that will have to be done each week. I ran it today with partial success.

The mount is plumb. SL-3 Dish, LNB, RG-6, TV and Rcvr are within 15' of total cable length. I rough tuned the 101 sat OK with the Ch Master Sat signal meter, then followed fine tuning instructions. I wound up with 101, and 99 signal, but not the 103. (or was it 103 not 99) I'll retry tomorrow for pracitce, and try to improve on mid 90's on 110- upper 80s on the 99 sig quality.

Regardless of the LOS, should'nt I be able to fine tune it in without a BirdDog or other digital sat finder?

Last edited:
The inst. say to rough tune dish to 101 and lock down, then fine tune. then go to 103 on birdogUSB plus unit and check stregnth on 103 for highest # then go back to 101 and peak then check 103 again.... QUESTION- which 103 sat setting do I load into my birdog????????

Are you confusing the 103 on your birddog with the 119?

Remember what you are trying to accomplish here. The SL3 uses the 99, 101 and 103 sats. If you are just looking for SD, then just the 101 will do - but for HD you need the others.

You start with 101 because it is located in the middle of the sat string. Once you get that "centered" - then you use the tilt to "rotate" or skew the dish around that central axis until you get the other sats. The sats are on an arc, which is why a tilt is needed to properly collect the signal.

Use 103 only while doing the tilt adjust because 99 has too many spotbeams on it.

The Birdog site (Perfect10) lists 103 KA/KU as a downloadable file under the "named" section.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)