Situations where instant replay would have helped (I won't be here next Friday)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Before I present my thread topic,

I'd like to announce that next Friday, my family and I are flying out to California to see some relatives for a week.

However, the house we are staying at does have an internet connection, so I'll be back as soon as I can. I will be able to post on this site while I am on vacation with my family

Nonetheless, I will not be able to post on 'The Sports Section' a week from today- hopefully, you'll be able to survive on this site without me for a day.

Anyway, onto the topic:

Get me rewrite! What if replay had existed for these 10 plays? - Big League... - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

I read that very interesting article on how replay might have changed baseball history.

Can you come up with some moments in any sport that might have changed sports history had there been instant replay?

It can be for any sport, not just baseball.

The one that comes to my mind right away: Game 6 of the 1985 World Series. Don Denkinger calls the Royals' Jorge Orta safe at first base when TV replays clearly showed he was out. It was the bottom of the ninth inning with the Cardinals up by a run and leading the series 3 games to 2. The Royals rallied and won game 6 on Dane Iorg's hit, and routed the Cardinals in game 7 (memorable for Joaquin Andujar's infamous meltdown) to win their first and currently only title. But the Cards would have won the series in 6 if not for Denkinger's bad call.

Sacrilege!

Replay reviews for baseball is heresy. :)

I won't bore you with purity of the game, tradition, or the human side of the equation. Any argument that people make mistakes aimed at me is met with a smile and the words, "Yes. So what?"

It seems I am a lone voice in the wilderness saying, can we find a way to make baseball SLOWER? Do we REALLY, really need replay? And why the sudden (within a the last couple of years) is there a clamoring for this intrusive additional layer of flawed technology? Replay reviews are not fool-proof! Just take a look at the NFL or (e-gads!) College football!

But if that doesn't sway you and you want technology to overrule people, why have people umpire at all? Let's use 100% technology. Make the balls with locater beacons, have the field set up with sensors. Have a couple of 3D camera set-ups to automatically call balls and Stikes (it is really much easier to do than some think).

If you want to take the human element out of it, let's do it all the way. None of this namby-pamby appeal crap!

See ya
Tony

Sacrilege!

Replay reviews for baseball is heresy. :)

I won't bore you with purity of the game, tradition, or the human side of the equation. Any argument that people make mistakes aimed at me is met with a smile and the words, "Yes. So what?"

It seems I am a lone voice in the wilderness saying, can we find a way to make baseball SLOWER? Do we REALLY, really need replay? And why the sudden (within a the last couple of years) is there a clamoring for this intrusive additional layer of flawed technology? Replay reviews are not fool-proof! Just take a look at the NFL or (e-gads!) College football!

But if that doesn't sway you and you want technology to overrule people, why have people umpire at all? Let's use 100% technology. Make the balls with locater beacons, have the field set up with sensors. Have a couple of 3D camera set-ups to automatically call balls and Stikes (it is really much easier to do than some think).

If you want to take the human element out of it, let's do it all the way. None of this namby-pamby appeal crap!

See ya
Tony

Personally, I don't have a problem with it if they do go to Replay in baseball.
The recent examples of umps missing call on Home Runs, each case would have been answered in a minute or less.
The guys in the booth had the correct answer each time before the umps were able to get together to discuss it.

All they would need would be an UMP in the booth, which btw, should not be a problem since I think they always have an extra ump at games anyways, incase something should happen. If they doon't have an extra one on hand they could start assinging one to each game, not a big deal.

Tony, I think your idea is a bit extreme at the moment, but yes I could see this scenario happening eventually, but I think I will be long gone by then. :)

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts