Skew on Dish Network

John Dough

Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Henderson, NV
I have a second dish (Dish 500) that I take when RVing. The documents from Dish Network show a Skew angle for the various zip codes. I used the Skew numbers listed but can't seem to get both 110 and 119 at the same time.

I have recently found Dishpointer.com and the information that they give is that you don't need to consider Skew if you have Dish TV or Dish Network. What's the real story? Can anyone help?

Using Skew on Dish Network

I posted this same question on the Dish Network forum. It probably belongs here...sorry for the double posting.

I have a second dish (Dish 500) that I take when RVing. The documents from Dish Network show a Skew angle for the various zip codes. I used the Skew numbers listed but can't seem to get both 110 and 119 at the same time.

I have recently found Dishpointer.com and the information that they give is that you don't need to consider Skew if you have Dish TV or Dish Network. What's the real story? Can anyone help?

I think that you do not have to consider skew if pointing to only one satellite. If you look further down the list on the dishpointer.com site you will see a section of Multi-LNB's. You can find the 110 and 119 listed there and the proper skew is shown.

John Dough-

The geometry of a single LNB is pretty simple since the LNB aims at the center of a round dish parabola. All you need is azimuth and elevation. The reason is because the lnb aims at the focus of the parabola aka center.

Put two lnb's on the dish and now you have each aiming at two birds in the sky at different elevations and azimuths. The solution is to angle the parabola so that you maximize the area of the reflector for maximum signal on each since you won't be using the full dish surface on any one lnb.

Now add three LNB's and the skew, azimuth and elevation become very critical as well as require you adjust back and forth. SDince an adjustment on the skew may through the elevation off a bit. I've been slowly tweaking the 1k.4 and it is very critical on all three adjustments.

This pdf document has some nice images to help you understand the critical nature of the geometry

skew may not be your problem. if you are using any skew close to the one listed for your zipcode and only getting one sat, its probably azimuth (left-right)
and elevation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts