Skinny packs

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
The DISH advertisement says:

Is your channel lineup bloated? Paying for stuff you don’t watch?

Go for a Skinny Bundle.

There are 82 channels listed today as part of the skinny pack and we don't watch 80% of them! (I counted them) If I could only teach my wife to use a computer .....

And then there's the never ending disputes with the local channels. Now we can't watch the lawyer commercials interrupted with local news.

Does anyone know if a current customer not under contract can switch to a skinny pack?

Does DirecTV have as many disputes as DISH?

Reactions: papachops
Yes you can switch to the Flex Pack. You may need a new Smart Card depending on your receiver's age. Login to your account. If the Flex Pack is showing you're good to go, if not you need a new Smart Card.

Sent from my XT1032 using the SatelliteGuys app!

The DISH advertisement says:

Is your channel lineup bloated? Paying for stuff you don’t watch?

Go for a Skinny Bundle.

There are 82 channels listed today as part of the skinny pack and we don't watch 80% of them! (I counted them) If I could only teach my wife to use a computer .....

And then there's the never ending disputes with the local channels. Now we can't watch the lawyer commercials interrupted with local news.

Does anyone know if a current customer not under contract can switch to a skinny pack?

Does DirecTV have as many disputes as DISH?

True there are many cable channels in the Flex pack but they are the most asked for or watched channels at the lowest price I see anywhere maybe not including online. What has been removed to allow all those in one package at that price is the costly sports, locals are not included and a few other channels to provide some level of choice. It has been talked about here over and over again the pitfalls and roadblocks to being able to choose just the channels you want so I'll skip all that.
I am convinced people generally want more channels, but at a lower cost not that the majority actually want less channels. For those that really only watch a handful of channels online or OTA is the answer though some may be surprised how much it can end up costing if you need Hulu, and Netflix, Amazon, pay for CBS etc to get them in some cases and/or to pay by program or channel. And even the online packages are put together like Flex and not to have single channels selected.

[QUOTE="Tampa8, post: 4042312, member: 211" I am convinced people generally want more channels, but at a lower cost not that the majority actually want less channels. For those that really only watch a handful of channels online or OTA is the answer ...[/QUOTE]

I agree with wanting a smaller bill. The way things are packaged it's like going to the grocery store needing a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs, but the store policy is that to get the milk it's mandatory to buy 15 other items that no one would buy otherwise and another 10 or fifteen to get the eggs. I'd love to ditch the many channels we don't watch for a reasonable reduction in price but the handful of channels we do watch are strategically spread out over all of the tiers. It's funny how that happens....

OTA isn't an option due to our location. What reception we had went away with the law that made all the OTA stations broadcast in digital.

In regards to the post about the Flex pack showing on our account, it doesn't but Smart pack does.

The way the content owners hold some channels hostage over carriage agreements with other channels, it could also be called extortion.
Or bargaining power. Regardless, the consumer doesn't usually win. The consumer is faced with the problem of dealing with having to pay for more and more channels which typically broadcast a lowest common denominator of programming. This is caused by channel providers who have developed a few high sought programs on a channel and then show a lot of filler in between. These programs then become the basis for a single channel being highly sought by customers... and then the other fluff channels get roped in during negotiations.

Reactions: dare2be
hi
I find that with flex pack that I have plenty of channels to watch. I get the variety pack and watch the id channel mostly.
I watch those music video channels, in the upper 300's part of flex pack. I got rid of latino bonus pack because I already have access to plenty of music channels.
I might re add the pack in a month or so. I just do not have time for to much music channels, and I love music and its so addicting to listen to music all the time that I do not watch any other channels. so that pack had to go.

I am going to watch other channels. heartland stays. i find myself watch growing pains, and last man standing.
I am thinking about adding the local channels again, just for judge judy *and for some basic news. and maybe some local other stuff. I dunno. I have to see.
I love the idea of switching between the different packs because my viewing habits are changing.
hmm

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
Or bargaining power. Regardless, the consumer doesn't usually win. The consumer is faced with the problem of dealing with having to pay for more and more channels which typically broadcast a lowest common denominator of programming. This is caused by channel providers who have developed a few high sought programs on a channel and then show a lot of filler in between. These programs then become the basis for a single channel being highly sought by customers... and then the other fluff channels get roped in during negotiations.
yeah that is true but its cheaper with flex pack. or other different plans. * all new releases for movies that is awesome.

hi
I find that with flex pack that I have plenty of channels to watch. I get the variety pack and watch the id channel mostly.
I watch those music video channels, in the upper 300's part of flex pack. I got rid of latino bonus pack because I already have access to plenty of music channels.
I might re add the pack in a month or so. I just do not have time for to much music channels, and I love music and its so addicting to listen to music all the time that I do not watch any other channels. so that pack had to go.

I am going to watch other channels. heartland stays. i find myself watch growing pains, and last man standing.
I am thinking about adding the local channels again, just for judge judy *and for some basic news. and maybe some local other stuff. I dunno. I have to see.
I love the idea of switching between the different packs because my viewing habits are changing.
hmm

You have embraced the spirit of Flex. Bigly. :bounce

Reactions: KAB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)