Skipped Event Problem

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything exactly like this.

In the past if you recorded two shows back to back (such as Suits and Graceland on USA) one tuner would be used and because USA insists on letting their shows go over by a minute or two you'd have the end of the first show at the beginning of the next. Bit of a pain but that's a USA issue not Dish.

Dish fixed this by having the second show fall to a different tuner because of the overlap. This causes two tuners to be in use for usually the 3 minute end of show run off. Unfortunately this is now causing three tuners to be used more frequently and causing conflicts.

The easiest solution was to skip an event if it was going to cause a conflict since most are re-run later during the early morning hours. Recently though if I skip an event from the timer schedule list it will automatically restore the next in line and then it won't actually record it. It has happened several times and I even deleted and recreated the timers. All are set to New Shows only but that was how I always had them set in the past when it worked fine. It happened last night with Graceland again. I didn't have time to check the reason but in the past it has said "Event skipped, not a new episode" or something like that. Not sure if this started with the last update or not as I just noticed it in that time frame.

TIA for any suggestions.

Reactions: JSheridan
We had a customer call this morning saying his Graceland did the same thing last night. He said he checked it at 9PM and it was set to record at 1AM I think he said. So sometime between 9PM and 1AM the Hopper decided that it was 'not a new episode' and didn't record it. He said it has happened to him several times before and he wasn't happy.

This must be another one of those bugs that has is caused by customer cabling or equipment. NOT!

We have the same problem. PLUS, on Thursday between 9:00PM and 10:00PM, we record two one hour shows and two half hour shows (one following the other on the same channel). Since the first half hour show is still going (for another three minutes), Hopper just skips the second half hour show alltogeather ("Well, no tuner available", it says) and doesn't try to resolve the issue and record it when the show airs again three hours later ("Not *New Only* now").

They should make their software designers actually use the Hoppers.

I'm having a similar problem and I have a theory as to what is happening. I recorded a couple of shows that were skipped due to priority but replayed after midnight. I checked before I went to bed and they both were scheduled to record after a 1 am. The next morning, however, neither recorded. I checked the event list and the reason was that it was not a new episode. I believe what happens is that the nightly reboot occurred after midnight and when restarted the shows were deemed "not a new episode". Note this is the hopper without sling and this use to work about two revisions of the software ago.

I'm having a similar problem and I have a theory as to what is happening. I recorded a couple of shows that were skipped due to priority but replayed after midnight. I checked before I went to bed and they both were scheduled to record after a 1 am. The next morning, however, neither recorded. I checked the event list and the reason was that it was not a new episode. I believe what happens is that the nightly reboot occurred after midnight and when restarted the shows were deemed "not a new episode". Note this is the hopper without sling and this use to work about two revisions of the software ago.

They change to 'not a new episode' before the nightly re-boot, usually right around midnight. If you check just after midnight and 'restore' the skipped episodes they will then record.

But what to do about scheduled recordings that say they were canceled by user (me) and I did not?
It's hard to know which ones will have this problem so I've not kept their history.
Some are not shown again for a year or more.
-Ken

I have had shows rescheduled to record at 12:58 AM, before the nightly reboot, which were not recorded so I think that there's more to this. The season premieres of Covert Affairs and Falling Skies are 2 incidents of this bug, which, like yours, has only to start to happen after recent "Updates". I have H2Ks so it's not only happening on HWS.

I have the same problems too. It will say event skipped by user, but I didn't skip it. Another problem, yesterday, I had some shows set to record. They didn't record but according to the schedule, it will say the event was completed. The so called recordings, are nowhere to be found. I even checked the deleted ones plus rebooted... Nothing..... I am really starting to lose my patience with Dish.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've had a similar problem since last fall! With my hopper, it'll randomly pick a show (it's current favorite is Murder in the First) and consistently skip the recording and log a status in the daily schedule view of cancelled by user. The show is scheduled to tape at 10pm, there are no conflicts (only PTAT was taping), I said to my wife last night as I checked the schedule, hmm I wonder if it'll actually record what's on the schedule tonight!

I have deleted the timer, rebooted, recreated the timer several times and it still skips (cancellers) the recording, unless it is a one time recording. This is just one of many bugs that seem to be getting worse with easy "update" that gets pushed to my hopper. I love dish, hopper, sling, etc... but if I was pushing out software with this many bugs..... I'd be ashamed to call myself a developer... I really hope Dish gets their act together soon with these updates.

I set up a series recording for Murder in the First and have not lost a single episode. That said, somewhere way back, I did lose something to 'cancelled by user.'

I don't think it is the reboot because my reboots usually occur at 1:30 AM or even later and the restored events were set to record before that. I dd a skip the other day (I set a timer on my other HWS as a backup just in case) and it was fine?!? No rhyme or reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)