Sky Star 2 USB Receiver Review

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have one, not really had a chance to use it because my PC already has a DVB card and it conflicts having 2 DVB sources.
It was an impulse buy, if anyone wants it I'll be willing to trade for fun things :)

I'll post some pics and a brief writeup tomorrow.

SkyStar 2 USB Mini-review

The Skystar 2 USB is the external incarnation of the popular SkyStar 2 PCI cards and can be used with any PC with a USB 1.1/2 port including laptops (Portable FTA system anyone?)
It's sold by 2 different companies under 2 different names including Sky2 PC-USB and SkyStar 2 USB however they're the same product, share the same drivers and use the B2C2 chipset for DVB-S Video and data reception.

The main point with any DVB card is that usage is definitely dependant on which software program you're using.

I tested the Sky2PC/SkyStar2 with MyTheater and ProgDVB and it worked well considering I have a conflicting DVB PCI card in the same machine.

Here's the front of the unit, it's built of steel with a plastic front and seems to be built very well:

2.jpg

The rear of the unit has the usual fare, RF-in, USB, 12VDC-in and a power switch, if you were to use this in a car as a portable unit you'd need a cigarette adapter for 12VDC in:

3.jpg

The unit itself is slightly larger than a floppy drive so it's definitely portable. The SkyStar2/Sky2PC is pictured here in comparison to an external DVD writer:

4.jpg

It arrives with a USB cord, 12V DC adapter and a driver/application CD which IMHO is useless as the drivers supplied are outdated and the application is unstable and omits a lot of features you'd expect to have in a PC application which is why I use ProgDVB:

1.jpg

ProgDVB has its own DisEqc routines however I used one of many plugins for DisEqc which allow positioner control/setup and preset position editing:

5.jpg

6.jpg

I couldn't get my SG2100 motor to work with this setup, I presume because I have a Nexus-S DVB card in my machine which is conflicting with the SkyStar2 however I did manage to tune ProgDVB into the NASA channel and was able to scan all transponders successfully.

If you have a machine with no free PCI slots, are a laptop user or just want to go portable with your FTA setup I recommend the SkyStar2, obviously I had my problems with it due to the way my PC is setup however I imagine it would work well with a machine without a DVB card already installed.

It's built well, as a rule it can be used with any software written for the SkyStar2 PCI model so it has the widest range of software support of any DVB card and can be moved to another machine within a few minutes.

Pros:
Largest software support of any DVB-S card available.
Drivers and apps are continually updated by DVB enthusiasts.
Built from steel.
USB connectivity is a great feature.
Pretty metallic blue.
Portable FTA with a laptop is the ultimate in geekdom.

Cons:
Good luck finding one.
Doesn't play well with other DVB cards installed in the same machine.

Excellent review by an excellent member, nice one, REALLY useful info and a great product, I think we will be seeing more of these : )

cascade

I'm am so new you wouldn't happen to have a step by step on how to get skystar2 ubs up and running with programdvb?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)