OTHER Skybox F3 HD

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
On an impulse, I bought a new in box Skybox F3 last Labor Day weekend on a special price deal of $29.99 plus $4 shipping, on Amazon. It is on the way with a USB WiFi included in that price. I will use it on the loop out of my OpenBox S9 tied to a C Band system.

The price changed quickly back to $75 or so after the three day weekend. I could plug it into my Internet network if I wanted to, but have never seen the need to do so with the S9, so what's the purpose of it?

Also, for anyone who has one of these, does the software need to be updated when it arrives?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

SKYBOX F3

Apparently this is just another OpenBox...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 195
Thanks for that information T4Runner, wish I knew they were at that price you gave. I might have bought one just cause it was so cheap! Could of used it somewhere. Hope it works okay for you! Any goog buys like that , let me know!:).
Apparently this is just another OpenBox...

Thanks for that information T4Runner, wish I knew they were at that price you gave. I might have bought one just cause it was so cheap! Could of used it somewhere. Hope it works okay for you! Any goog buys like that , let me know!:).

I'll find out soon as its delivered either Friday or Monday. I wanted something cheap that would receive DVB S2 and High Defin., for the third bedroom.

Last edited:
There are released files to fix -You Tube -Wifi Also, RS232 recovery tool and X3 Lan Tool. Channel Editor is the same one used by the Openbox S9 (PVR800) with H.264/AC3/AAC capacity.

Well I received the SkyBox F3 today, but without the USB WiFi that was supposed to be included.(edit update: within an hr of sending a comment to seller that the USB WiFi was missing, got a return response they would send it, so looks like the seller on amazon is OK). I did receive an HDMI cable, but have plenty of them. I had downloaded the manual and already downloaded updated software to a memory stick so I was ready to hit it when my wife brought the mail in today and said "yet another satellite product?".

I am like many peeps on this Forum and have several different satellite receivers, so once I found out it was a sister or brother to the OpenBox, I knew I would be comfortable getting it up to date.

Before I updated the software, I went ahead and plugged it into the loop out of a OB S9 locked on 99W. The comments of a fast scan of channels is accurate. It scanned everything including HD channels ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1378510526.924019.jpg

The default satellites before I updated the software were all outside of the USA, so I just used the only West sat and blindscanned the sat. So the sat name is not accurate in the first pic.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1378510697.983241.jpg

It pulled up a FOX FEED very quickly also.

The USB is inside a flimsy plastic front door and I had to be careful because the door kept trying to come off the hinge. Reminded me of the battery cover on my grandsons remote control car.

Instructions are very clear if you understand the Chinese writing pattern (backwards to USA). I updated the software allowing YOUTUBE which I already have on the TV it's connected to, and also updated a seperate file supplied by seller of the USA Satellites and TPs.

Since this receiver is slaved to another which is moving the motorized C Band dish, I only scanned three satellites: 99W, 101W, and 103W.

I changed the infamous VideoFormat cycle button to 1080p-60hz, but it was working fine on the default through HDMI and component both originally set at 1080-50hz.

One plus seems to be its sensitivity in scanning new channels. A strange occurrence was when on 101W it also pulled in the ION channels on 103W? My OpenBox S9 never did that? My antenna is a 7.5 ft mesh.

As a reminder, I paid $30 for this on a Laborday weekend sale, so I got what I thought was a deal. But, ... The picture is crappy! I mean it is like my standard Dishnetwrk small dish! I am still tweaking and learning about this receiver, but it does not have the picture quality of even a Geosat Pro and certainly not of the MicroHD, but I very low cost so no complaints too loud anyway. It's in a 3 rd bedroom and connected to a Vizio 32"HD 1080, only used when banned or a guest arrives...

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1378511897.203264.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1378511918.907989.jpg

I almost forgot, it also has a channel lock light indicator which is a great feature to a channel flipper.. It's the small green light in the pictures. Sorry, tried to add two pics and wouldn't let me.

Last edited:
The photo and the pics looks nice. Dont know why you mentioned its crappy. There should be a lot of the guys around saying Why I didnt see that $30 offer!!!

The photo and the pics looks nice. Dont know why you mentioned its crappy. There should be a lot of the guys around saying Why I didnt see that $30 offer!!!

It's just I've seen the real HD channels on my MicroHD and my OpenBox S9 on HD TVs and there is a noticeable difference to the naked eye. I suppose the pics are somewhat deceiving.

But you're right, if these go on sale again for $30 on amazon, there should be a mad rush.

Okay, almost 24 hrs later and this receiver is working fine with an unbelievable very fast blind scan and picks up channels nicely.

I retract my rash statements about the picture quality also. The picture is fine. Maybe it needed to settle in? Whatever the reason, it appears to have a sharper picture this morning?

There are other features to this receiver once plugged into the Internet that I don't care about, so you'll have to do your own research if you wish feedback on those, including a secret MENU.

Time will tell whether it survives or not.

Another picture to show what the size of the Skybox F3 looks like in the small space under my 32" Vizio. This model fits nicely in a bedroom.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1378677401.113132.jpg

It's about the size of a hardback book.

Thought I would add another comment or two about this receiver. If you have a hardwire Internet connection available at the location where you will set this up, then you do not need to spend the extra few bucks for the Plugin WiFi USB. You won't need it, because it has a internet plug in the back. Also, I do like the software for North America that is available. Incidentally, not sure whether I mentioned this or not, but the SW has the same glitch my old OpenBox S9 did, it will not pick up NBC Puerto Rico C Band so you have to manually add it to a channel list.

I've seen this at amazon no lower priced than $65 since I bought one last month on a fire sale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts