Slick way to get receiver on broadband

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
I recently put a 612 receiver in a bedroom that had no good way to run an ethernet cable so it can do broadband. I picked up an Asus WL-330gE which is a multifunction network device the size of a deck of cards. One mode allows it to make an Ethernet device wireless. You hook it to your computer to configure it to work with your wireless network (WPA or WEP). Then you hook it to your receiver, and the power can either come from a USB cable or from an AC adapter. Now my receiver can phone home and I can avoid pesky receiver audits.

Last edited:
Good for you, thanks for the info. How much was it?

And by 'phone home' you mean connect to the internet, right?

Good for you, thanks for the info. How much was it?

And by 'phone home' you mean connect to the internet, right?

New they can be had for $60 or so, but got mine for $43 (shipped) on Ebay. Yes - I meant it allows acknowledgment that lets Dish know that the receiver is online.

Yup; I put one of these on a 612 as well. The darn blue lights are obnoxiously bright, so I had to cover them up to keep peace. I think I paid about $35 for mine, after rebates and paypal (or some other) cash back deal.

BTW - It's performance seemed pretty darn good, too, particularly since it has no external antenna.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)