Slimline 3 (99/101/103) with Zinwell 4x4 switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

godfather818

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Hi guys, I am having some problems installing my DTV dish. I am not getting any signal with a Slimline 3 dish and Zinwell 4x4 switch. Is it possible that this switch is not compatible with this dish? Or could it be that I am not fine tuning the dish enough. The receiver is HR21 if I remember correctly. Also how is it possible to test if this switch is defective, I am not actually sure if I am not tuning the dish right or the switch is defective.
If anyone has a diagram of this setup, I'd really appreciate it as well.

Thank you

Last edited:
If the slimline 3 has 4 outputs the 4x4 switch is not needed...the LNB has a built in switch

also a 4x4 switch wont work with the SL3...a 6x8 will

I don't get it Iceberg, which of the 4 output cables go to the receiver if no switch is necessary. Sorry if I am asking a dumb question, I am new to this

any of them :)

The slimline LNB has a built in switch. Just hook the receiver to the LNB. The only time you need an external switch is if you need more than 4 tuners then you'd use the 6x8 switch.

This is some good news because I did not have a 6x8 switch. So just connect any 1 of the 4 cables to the receiver and let the other ones stay unconnected. Also the guy who gave me the receiver said a B Band converter is required for the HR21 receiver, is this true. If its true, will I be able to get the signal at least on the receiver so I can set it up before buying that converter.

Also I just looked the slimlines, the built in switch is called the SWM technology I am guessing, and looks like some slimlines do not have this technology. How do I know if my slimline has it?

Last edited:
SWM (single wire multiswitch) has ONLY 1 output on the lnb

If yours has 4 outputs then it is not SWM

If you have an HR21 then you will need any 2 lines going into the DVr bc it has 2 tuners (if it was SWM then only 1 line)

You will also need 2 b band converters. If will work without but only in SD.

Actually sorry it is not a DVR, it is just regular HD receiver I think H21 in that case not HR21. Do I still need 2 lines to go into this regular non DVR HD receiver or just 1 along with the b band converter

P.S. You'll probably want to terminate ("cap") any unused Coax connectors at the Dish, if only to stop any water (condensation) from getting into the worky-bits.

Thanks for all the responses, one more thing, I want to take a small TV and SD receiver into the roof to test the signal. Will the SD receiver receive all the signals even though it is not HD and currently I do not have b band converter. Thanks

No, an sd receiver will not get the hd signals. It might be easier to have someone at the tv with you at the dish. If you need a b band converter, try flagging down a Directv van. Failing that, I have one you can have for the cost of shipping.

I see, but will the HD at least receive the signals without the b band converter until I buy it or get it from somewhere. Thanks

The HD receiver WILL get all the signals, it just wont be able to get the HD channels (it'll give you a Searching for satellite, 771 message). To avoid that problem, go into the settings, and change the guide settings to Hide HD Channels
until you get the BBC (B-Band Converter).
Alternatively, you could set the guide to show SD Duplicates, but that kinda makes it a pain...

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. In conclusion:

I will send 1 of the 4 output lines from the LNB into the HD receiver, lock in the signals until I get the B band converter. I also have a Slimline 5 dish, does this dish also have auto switch as in I can connect any of its LNB lines to the receiver? Asking for future reference. Thanks

Guys I cannot get any signal on my slimline 5 (i decided to install this one). No matter how i align the dish, no signal. Could this be the LNB's are defective. I am connecting one of the lines to the HD receiver and the rest (3 left) are left one. What can be the problem

It could be lots of things. Let's start at the beginning. Is the mast plumb? This is critical! I wouldn't trust the bubble in the end of the mast. Use a pole level if possible. Then double check the settings on the dish for skew and elevation and make sure they are correct. Also check the azimuth to be sure you are pointing in the right direction. Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com is good for this. Next you should check your connections to be certain they are solid. Leave the bolts that anchor the dish to the mast a little loose so you can spin the dish. When you first point the dish move it slowly to allow the receiver to register the changes in signal strength. You may need to adjust the skew and elevation settings. When you get some signal to register tighten the dish enough to keep it from moving. Then push on the back of the dish to see what difference it makes in the signal strength. That may indicate a need to change the skew or elevation settings. The watch word here is patience! Take your time and you can do it.

godfather818 said:
Guys I cannot get any signal on my slimline 5 (i decided to install this one). No matter how i align the dish, no signal. Could this be the LNB's are defective. I am connecting one of the lines to the HD receiver and the rest (3 left) are left one. What can be the problem

Is your mast plumb and level? Do you have the correct cords for your location? Are you moving the dish slowly in a sweeping motion? These aren't just something you can point at the sky an be set. Unless you're a tech with the correct gear to do the job you're going to battle it (excluding the people that's been setting dishes for years). It's a slow process and with it being your first, be prepare to battle it for a while

For some reason I am only able to get signal for sat 101, but I think I am not aligning right. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try again

the sd receiver will not see the 99/103 which is what you want to peak, or dither. and you will need a bbc on any H2x series < H(r)23. (I know the h23 does NOT need bbcs, cant quite remember about hr23) to see the 99/103 as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts