Slimline 3 Regular to SWM LNB Swap

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Does anyone have any information on what's involved as far as receiver setup when it comes to swapping out a regular SL3 LNB with a SWM LNB? I know about the new LNB and the power inserter, but do I need to do anything to the receiver? I remember seeing a training video on how to configure your receivers for a SWM LNB, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!

I believe you may need to rerun satellite setup and select the correct LNB. However, I've seen reference that the receiver may determine that automatically during the setup.

I have the old 5 lnb dish that has the side car on it , my question is do I still need the side car or can I remove it off the dish?

I believe you need a new dish as the geometry for the side car is a bit different than the Slimline. Having said that, the SWM SL3 LNB might fit on the arm, but aligning could be a problem.

Now I'll sit back and watch those in the know speak up. :)

I have the old 5 lnb dish that has the side car on it , my question is do I still need the side car or can I remove it off the dish?

That really isn't related to this thread, but the guide information is on both 101 and 119 and if you remove the sidecar you might have guide update problems (unless you have a SWM8, which will always get the guide from 101). Putting a SWM LNB on a AT-9 dish is NOT recommended.

I tried modifying a AT9 dish for a slimline LNB and had little success. I think the arm legnth may be different. I cut a notch for the LNB to fit and still had trouble peaking it, just gave up and bought a slimline dish off craigslist.

As for setup, option 18 under dish type is a SWM slimline-5 setup. There is also a SWM slimline-3 setup for the LNB that doesn't have 110/119. Selecting the right one determines where it gets the guide data.

Remember to NOT use B-Band converters.

Also, if you have trouble getting to the satellite setup after restarting the receiver (assuming you unplug the power when you change the LNB - recomended), you may need to let it sit at searching for signal for 5 mintues or so, then the menu button will give you the option for satellite setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)