Slimline 5 LNB Fine Tuning Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

capric621@yahoo.com

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I have posted numerous posts about my 5 LNB installation and thanks to everyone's help I finally got it last week. I enjoyed HD all week and wow is all I can say. But now I have a question about how to fine tune the HD satellites? I used my receiver as my meter and I followed the instructions step by step tweeking all the fine tuning screws. I had my 101, 110 and 199 all above 95 by the end of the setup. My problem was that the 99 s and 103 s had a couple of 0's and a couple low numbers. I am able to view all channels but last night we had a thunder storm and it lost the 99 and 103 for about 20 minutes ( I am guessing because of how low their signal is). How can I adjust to get these other satellites up where they belong and should any of the 99 or 103 be coming in at 0?

99s and 103s are spotbeam. You may not be in the transponder's footprint and will have 0's and low numbers on those transponders that don't cover your area.

I guess it must have just been a really bad storm, because the 103c is all in the mid to high 80's.

That will happen from time to time.
Remember that storm doesn't have to be hitting you, the sat is something like 23,000 miles up and your dish is in one place, the storm was appearantly right between them.
Think of it as a good sign, seeing the sats (from where I am located) are to the SW, so is the normal storms, so IF I start to lose sat signal,I know ahead of time that we are in for a bad storm .... Thats when I bring stuff into the house and watch the storm come in !

Jimbo

While we are on this subject how hard is it to adjust the 5lnb dish to get higher reading on 103(c)?

On 101 I'm getting up around 98. one 103(c) I'm getting around 67.

I know I could call D* to come and tweak it but the dish is easy to get to so I could tweak it myself.

It's not too hard, just use very minor adjustments while watching / having someone watch the 103c meter.

You can also use the fine tuning adjustment knobs, but loosen the regular bolts first.

I tried adjusting both of the fine adjustments on the slimline. Neither helped. MOF the elevation tuning made it worse and and I couldn't back up in the 60's. I'm now in the low 50's. I didn't see a fine tuning for the tilt and I wasn't about to unscrew the 4 bolts that adjust it and try moving by hand.

I'm thinking I might ought to just call Direct Tech back out and let them fine tune it. When they installed it he used a Birdog meter. If it's the same guy he'll be able to tweak it fast.

I tried adjusting both of the fine adjustments on the slimline. Neither helped. MOF the elevation tuning made it worse and and I couldn't back up in the 60's. I'm now in the low 50's. I didn't see a fine tuning for the tilt and I wasn't about to unscrew the 4 bolts that adjust it and try moving by hand.

I'm thinking I might ought to just call Direct Tech back out and let them fine tune it. When they installed it he used a Birdog meter. If it's the same guy he'll be able to tweak it fast.

Chances are you won't get the same guy, but they willbe able to take care of you none the less.
fwiw, there is no "fine tune" for the tilt.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)