Sling adapter to ipad in HD?

invaliduser

Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
South
Is anyone else getting anything higher than 2mb/s when using the sling adapter and an ipad1/2 on a LAN? I seem to top out at 2 and it's not HD.

By chance is your UPLINK speed on your internet connections about that speed too? and if you're on Comcast for your provider.. can you try using the ipad all day and see if your UPLINK bandwidth shows more than average usage..

if you have DD-WRT on your main router that would also help you ID what I'm getting at...

Someone .... dave was that you? posted that their connection for their Ipad, even though active on the wireless in home.. was getting its data feed from Sling ... *not* directly from the SlingAdapter in the next room ...

The thoughts on this are still out ... but one possibility is some form of processing going on that the App on the IPad can't handle, or 3g connection being caught up in the player some how.. etc..

but by using it longer on a given day, and then checking your UPLink usage with your provider or router (if it tracks it) you'd know for sure if you were pushing that traffic out and hitting your uplink max ... the PC version of the Sling Player does *not* do that.. it actually opens a port directly between itself and the sling adapter .. with only minimal administrivia traffic going out or coming back from Dish/Sling.

My uplink is less than 500kbps, so the 2Mbps stream is definitely going directly from the sling to my iPad. According to Sling (link), the 2Mbps limit on HQ video to the iPad is simply how it was designed to work. HD streams from my sling to my PC max out around 8Mbps.

My uplink is less than 500kbps, so the 2Mbps stream is definitely going directly from the sling to my iPad. According to Sling (link), the 2Mbps limit on HQ video to the iPad is simply how it was designed to work. HD streams from my sling to my PC max out around 8Mbps.
lol so yer sayin' it wasn't you .. :) well THAT is certainly good to know.. the other person that posted saying they were seeing the sling *data* leave their network and then come back for their ipad ... so they are again the oddity in the Sling to I*device now.. :)

I wonder then .. if the real limitation is the ability of the device? I'm not *knocking* the Ipads of the world ... just that you can only squeeze orange juice from an orange.. once the juice has been squeezed out .. you're going to start getting bits of the rind in there.

Maybe the SlingAdapter can't do a recompressed stream (yet) that suits the low power (electric juice & processing types) chips in the device ... just like you *can* run office 2010 on a Intel Atom processor netbook.. but the wait time for it to load, for it to allow you to start typing ... like waiting for root canal.. (torturous) and so maybe there will be an update to the firmware for the slings that will give them a better featureset / compression set, etc... to compress for apple's display chips...

So is it a known fact that HD slinging (using the sling adapter) to the iPad is not possible?
I'm graphing my bandwidth and the 2mb stream is between the 722k and my wifi connection on the iPad. So it's not leaving my local LAN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts