Sling adapters being discontinued

osumike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
On a roof in Wisconsin
Just a heads up to anyone using these.. Techs were made aware yesterday that there is/was a software update to Dish Anywhere, and sling adapters will no longer be supported. Here's the communication:

Sling Adapters6/26 2:26p

Due to an update on DISH Anywhere software, Sling Adapters are no longer compatible devices. Please do not offer this product to customers as we are discontinuing the sale of Sling Adapters.

there is/was a software update to Dish Anywhere, and sling adapters will no longer be supported.

What do you suppose that means? They deliberately broke it and it won't work? Or it will continue to work for awhile until they "accidentally" break it in the future?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Its simple... to view the Sling Adapters you need a browser running Adobe Flash, which is a big security issue and many browsers are no longer supporting Flash. Adobe itself is discontinuing Flash in a few months.

Other Sling products could be upgraded to use different technology while the streaming technology for the Sling Adapter was built into the Sling Adapter.

I hear about this at Team Summit, but was unsure of when they were planning on doing this, as they were talking the end of the year.

I expect for those with Sling Adapters they will offer to move you to a Hopper with Sling or a Hopper 3.

Its simple... to view the Sling Adapters you need a browser running Adobe Flash, which is a big security issue and many browsers are no longer supporting Flash. Adobe itself is discontinuing Flash in a few months.

Other Sling products could be upgraded to use different technology while the streaming technology for the Sling Adapter was built into the Sling Adapter.

I hear about this at Team Summit, but was unsure of when they were planning on doing this, as they were talking the end of the year.

I expect for those with Sling Adapters they will offer to move you to a Hopper with Sling or a Hopper 3.
Is the Slingbox 500 going to have flash issues too?

Just tried connecting to my 722 w/ Sling adapter and watching a recording. Still works, sort of. Crashed when I tried to rewind.

Reactions: TheKrell
Correct me where I am wrong please. I have a 722k and 2-211k's. If I change to a Hopper with Sling, it will cost me more money and I will have to get rid of one of my 211k's. I would also have to buy a new ota adapter.

I haven't paid much attention to the Hopper because the 722k with Sling adapter and 211k's worked fine for me.

Reactions: ppappas
Correct me where I am wrong please. I have a 722k and 2-211k's. If I change to a Hopper with Sling, it will cost me more money and I will have to get rid of one of my 211k's. I would also have to buy a new ota adapter.

I haven't paid much attention to the Hopper because the 722k with Sling adapter and 211k's worked fine for me.

If the 211's are owned by you then you don't have to get rid of them. You can have up to 2 purchased 211's or Wally's on a Hopper account. You would probably need to add a switch if you don't already have one.

I am in the same boat, 722K w/sling adapter and two 612s. One thing I don't want to give up is the bug that's either in the 722 or Sling or both, and the ability to view recordings stored on my EHD with Dish Anywhere. Apparently, you cannot do this with any of the Hoppers. I guess we are SOL if we want to stick with our 722Ks.

While it is true that Sling ceased manufacturing Sling boxes, the remaining stock is still being sold and the later models of Slingbox are still operating and expected to continue operating. At the very least, the later Slingbox models of M1, M2, Slingbox 500, Slingbox 350 have all moved to the SlingPlayer for desktop a few years ago, so it no longer uses Flash/browser. I remember having been kicked off the browser on to the SlingPlayer a few years ago. It was a bit of a pain at first to get the thing installed but eventually it works very very well. I have been using the Slingplayer for desktop the last few years on many many occasions and I prefer it not dependent on the browser it's a better user experience. If you have a later Slingbox model today that you're able to playback on your desktop, then you are definitely must be using the SlingPlayer for desktop because Sling ripped out all flash/browser support a few years ago and required you to download and install the Slingplayer for desktop. In other words, at least those later models of Slingbox listed above will continue to work indefinitely using the SlingPlayer for desktop that is no longer dependent upon flash/browser.

Of course the SlingPlayer app for mobile was a different animal-- it did not depend upon the browser--and will also continue to work with the above-listed Slingboxes. Flash is a horrid security mess and needs to go. We all need to be thankful it will die very soon.

As for earlier models of Slingbox, I can't say with any personal experience, but in many forums it seems those older boxes are being left behind by Sling and were dependent upon the browser for playback. I seem to remember many posts about people complaining that the older Slingboxes they have aren't compatible with the SlingPlayer for desktop introduced a few years ago.

While it is true that Sling ceased manufacturing Sling boxes, the remaining stock is still being sold and the later models of Slingbox are still operating and expected to continue operating. At the very least, the later Slingbox models of M1, M2, Slingbox 500, Slingbox 350 have all moved to the SlingPlayer for desktop a few years ago, so it no longer uses Flash/browser. I remember having been kicked off the browser on to the SlingPlayer a few years ago. It was a bit of a pain at first to get the thing installed but eventually it works very very well. I have been using the Slingplayer for desktop the last few years on many many occasions and I prefer it not dependent on the browser it's a better user experience. If you have a later Slingbox model today that you're able to playback on your desktop, then you are definitely must be using the SlingPlayer for desktop because Sling ripped out all flash/browser support a few years ago and required you to download and install the Slingplayer for desktop. In other words, at least those later models of Slingbox listed above will continue to work indefinitely using the SlingPlayer for desktop that is no longer dependent upon flash/browser.

Of course the SlingPlayer app for mobile was a different animal-- it did not depend upon the browser--and will also continue to work with the above-listed Slingboxes. Flash is a horrid security mess and needs to go. We all need to be thankful it will die very soon.

As for earlier models of Slingbox, I can't say with any personal experience, but in many forums it seems those older boxes are being left behind by Sling and were dependent upon the browser for playback. I seem to remember many posts about people complaining that the older Slingboxes they have aren't compatible with the SlingPlayer for desktop introduced a few years ago.
I sure like my Slingbox 500 much better than using DISH Anywhere. You have complete control of your Hopper including the EHD.

Reactions: AZ.
I am in the same boat, 722K w/sling adapter and two 612s. One thing I don't want to give up is the bug that's either in the 722 or Sling or both, and the ability to view recordings stored on my EHD with Dish Anywhere. Apparently, you cannot do this with any of the Hoppers.

I had an owned 722 w/Sling Adapter, and 2 leased 612's. Many times I enjoyed playing programs off the 722 EHD via DishAnywhere. Before I finally agreed to the H3, I tried doing that one more time and it did not work. Are you saying that it still works on your 722k?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts