Sling Adaptor Agony

ERSanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Fairport, NY
I received my Sling Adaptor for my 722k a few weeks ago along with my new Verizon Samsung Fascinate (SCH-i500) and was thrilled with the concept of portable video.

The 722k is hardwired (6' cable) to a Linksys WRT54GS ver. 1.1 with the latest firmware v 4.71.4.

I have been able to sporadically get the Dish channels on the phone but more times than not it tells me it cannot hook up or tells me that I have to do the Menu 6, 1, 8, 2 reset of the network setup. Sometimes that helps and sometimes not. So I'm left with a "sometimes" video capability that usually requires me to return to the receiver to do the network setup. I have also used an alternate port on the Linksys with no improvement.

I tried the Dish phone chat and they put me thru to the Sling Tech. support which did not help.

Any pointers, or (better) solutions would be greatly appreciated!

to completely eliminate the router as the problem, you should bypass it and see if the problem persists. if it does not, then you really should put tomato or dd-wrt on that router. the stock firmware on the older wrt54g routers has notorious problems with the number of inbound/outbound packets and uPnP is spotty at best. if you are hesitant to "hack" your router, then a new one may be in order.

I had a like problem. Found it to be the receiver. Cat5 port was bad. Should do all the tests first. Remove router as stated from the equation and see it it helps.Good luck.

OK, an update. I can now get the 722k to reset connection so that "Connected Online" shows on the screen of the main TV.

When I try to view on the phone I get a "starting 722k" screen that times out after the default two minutes on the phone. During this process the red light on the Sling Adaptor blinks. After the timeout the phone shuts off and the Sling Adaptor returns to a steady red light.

In the router "Administration" I tried it with uPnP shut off and got the same results. This makes me think it is the router capability as stated by empiretc. If I have to replace the router what would be recommended? I would like to keep it affordable but think that N would be a good add to future-proof it. Suggestions?

try removing the router and see what happens.

if the problem goes away, then all you will need to do is flash the router with tomato or dd-wrt and you will be good to go. total cost= $0.

empiretc, here is what I did.

Took the router out of the hookup and connected the TW modem directly to the 722k with a new, known good cable. Rebooted the cable modem. Reacquired the 722k network setup. Firedup the phone and got "Connection failed. Please make sure that your dish receiver and your Android device are connected to the internet. OK"

I'm beginning to think that I have a bad Sling Adaptor or bad 722K. Comments?

New info (don't know why I didn't do this earlier!). I connected the Sling Adaptor to my second 722K... perfection. = Bad 722k!

ERSanders,
[FONT=&quot]If you'd like to PM your account info (account number or phone number) we can start the process of getting a replacement sent out to you.[/FONT]

New Sling adapter set up or performance woes

Just received the new Sling adapter and retired the old SOLO. I can get it to work fine on my PC here at home, but when I try to watch TV on my new Motorola Droid it fails. I can see the grid, I can see the contents of the receiver, and if I tell it to WATCH on this device, it never connects. I can see it says it is LOADING, then CONNECTING and then I get the error message "Connectino failed. Please make sure that your Dish Receiver and your Andriod deice are connected to the Internet.

Of course they are as I can see the contents of the reciever.My Driod version is 3.2 on a new Motorola Xoom. ANy suggestions would be appreciated. I tried both my home network and the 3G Verizon data plan, same results. Thanks for the advise!
Rick

Just received the new Sling adapter and retired the old SOLO. I can get it to work fine on my PC here at home, but when I try to watch TV on my new Motorola Droid it fails. I can see the grid, I can see the contents of the receiver, and if I tell it to WATCH on this device, it never connects. I can see it says it is LOADING, then CONNECTING and then I get the error message "Connectino failed. Please make sure that your Dish Receiver and your Andriod deice are connected to the Internet.

Of course they are as I can see the contents of the reciever.My Driod version is 3.2 on a new Motorola Xoom. ANy suggestions would be appreciated. I tried both my home network and the 3G Verizon data plan, same results. Thanks for the advise!
Rick

Hi and:welcome to Sat Guys. Since it appears that the sling has not made a connection, we would need to verify that the installation is correct and the receiver is properly hooked up to the internet. When you log into your account and access the receiver, under the Preferences Tab what color is showing? If you would like to PM me I can check your account and see if we can troubleshoot this issue together. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts