Sling Adaptor Field Reviews

this is probably a dumb question, but i'm in my dish remote access and don't see a Watch Live Tv option, can someone tell me were this is, I have the grid and i can go in and select channels and get the tv to change but nothing on my lap top to indicate live tv
... and make sure you're using IE or Firefox, not Chrome. You'll also have to load an activeX, so make sure those aren't blocked.

I don't think that's possible. My upload is 500k max on my ISP, yet I can stream HD (best) smoothly on my LAN at over 8000k.

Then I must be missing something here because no matter what computer I use in my house wired (gigabit ethernet) or wireless (802.11g), I cannot do better than my max upload speed which is 2Mbps. The bandwidth meter on my PC shows me downloading at 2Mbps and the bandwidth meter on my router shows 2Mbps being sent out over WAN interface and 2Mbps being brought back down. It is most definitely not running over my LAN.

Are you doing something special to send video over your LAN? All I am doing is going to dishnetwork.com and clicking on the Remote Access link. If I download Slingplayer software from Sling.com, I can install it but it doesn't see any Slingboxes on my network.

Thanks for your replys,I ended up unplugging and replugging the receiver in after a minute and reentered remote access and the link was there, not sure why i had to reset but it worked, also just fyi i'm using Firefox, the plugin came up and just step through promps and was good to go.

eman,

Hmm... I'm getting 8Mbps on my LAN doing the same thing you're doing. But I have no way to tell what's going over the WAN. I can tell you that DHCP and UPNP are enabled on my router, if that makes any difference. Otherwise, nothing special.

I hooked it up but haven't fiddled with it online yet. Disappointed that Blackberry 8530 isn't compatible yet

its the dish remote access, downloaded from the market, It seems to have a lot of little quirks, I have a incredible and my son has a X, he can sign in to my account and watch, it working, sometimes you have to sign in a couple times, also for some reason once in a while you can't change channels, if you get out then get back in it might work for a while, I would imagine some of them bugs will get cleaned up with updates over time.

Got mine today. It's literally a 2 minute installation, and it was a snap to login online and watch tv.

It works so good, I got rid of my regular sling box, and I plan on deactivating my 922 and replacing it with a 722k.

This Is finally something Dish got right the first time.

Sorry if this question has been answered or is basic. Does the Sling adapter have built in what's needed to connect to your wifi or do you need to find another way to get the 722k connected to the internet? Thanks!

Sorry if this question has been answered or is basic. Does the Sling adapter have built in what's needed to connect to your wifi or do you need to find another way to get the 722k connected to the internet? Thanks!

No, it doesn't do WI-FI. You need to have your receiver connected some other way. I would suggest one of these items available directly from Dish. Get Connected to Broadband. Get More - DISH Network The SlingLink works the best, as long as you don't have irregularities in your home power system. Most of the time they work fine. The wireless adapter works well too, but if you go that route you will either need to get a USB hub because you'll be using 2 USB devices, or use the USB port on the front of the receiver.

I believe that yes it does because you are accessing it through dishnetwork.com. I have a bandwidth meter on my router and can see my 2Mbps upload completely maxes out when I try to do HD. I see many posts on here about PC specs. While that can certainly have some effect, I don't think it is the real limiting factor here. I have a Core i7 860, 4GB of RAM, Intel x-25m SSD hard drive and a Radeon 5850 HD graphics card and I still have major HD stuttering problems. Unlike a regular Slingbox, I am fairly positive this is going up through Dish's proxy and back down to you even while at home.

That said, I love this addition to my 722k. It works very well on my iPhone and my Blackberry. On multiple PCs, it works very well on the middle quality setting and only stutters when I try HD. On the mid setting I average about 1800kbps.

I don't see how it could be going to the ISP, except when I'm going to the Droid X via Verizon cellular. Upload speed to my ISP is limited to 369kbps, and I'm transferring a stream around 8mbps upstream from the Adapter/722 combo for local operation. I'm positive it's taking a straight path through the router and down to my PC or Laptop or Droid X.

So far I'm pretty impressed with operation via browser or to the Droid X on the local LAN. The Droid X 3g cellular operation is as good as one could expect, given the limitations of much lower bit rates, as long as their is a good 3g signal available.

Got mine today. It's literally a 2 minute installation, and it was a snap to login online and watch tv.

It works so good, I got rid of my regular sling box, and I plan on deactivating my 922 and replacing it with a 722k.

This Is finally something Dish got right the first time.

Are you saying that the 722k w/adapter works better than the 922 w/built in adapter?

No, it doesn't do WI-FI. You need to have your receiver connected some other way. I would suggest one of these items available directly from Dish. Get Connected to Broadband. Get More - DISH Network The SlingLink works the best, as long as you don't have irregularities in your home power system. Most of the time they work fine. The wireless adapter works well too, but if you go that route you will either need to get a USB hub because you'll be using 2 USB devices, or use the USB port on the front of the receiver.

I originally thought I would need to connect to wifi so I ordered the wireless USB connector. Then I figured that surely wifi would be built in. Anyway thanks for clarifying this. I just hope that the wireless connection is fast enough. My Roku box runs fine right next to the 722k, so maybe I'll be okay.

Guys, if you really want to know if you are accessing your sling adapter via LAN only or up through your ISP into the internet and back down, why don't you just unplug your modem. You'll find out! LOL!

Sling adapter only works if you are connected to the internet. When I disconnected my ISP here I got an error message that the receiver is currently unavailable, please connect to a broadband internet connection and try again.

Are you saying that the 722k w/adapter works better than the 922 w/built in adapter?

The 722 with the Sing adaptor works just like the 922 with the sling adaptor built in.

Here is why I do not like the 922...

#1 $4 more per month than 722K
#2 Buggy and Clunky Interface
#3 No TV2

Granted your getting a slightly smaller hard drive on the 722K, instead of the 922. However just the fact the software is polished off in the 722K makes it well worth having over the 922.

Im getting rid of my 922 and replacing it with a 722K.

Keep in mind, I say this when my idea of upgrading a receiver in my house is as simply as going to the office in my warehouse and taking a receiver from inventory and taking it home with me. It says alot when I can put whatever I want in my house and this is what I choose.

The 722 with the Sing adaptor works just like the 922 with the sling adaptor built in.

Here is why I do not like the 922...

#1 $4 more per month than 722K
#2 Buggy and Clunky Interface
#3 No TV2

Granted your getting a slightly smaller hard drive on the 722K, instead of the 922. However just the fact the software is polished off in the 722K makes it well worth having over the 922.

Im getting rid of my 922 and replacing it with a 722K.

Keep in mind, I say this when my idea of upgrading a receiver in my house is as simply as going to the office in my warehouse and taking a receiver from inventory and taking it home with me. It says alot when I can put whatever I want in my house and this is what I choose.

Thanks for sharing your honest experience with the 922 Claude. You came to the same conclusion that I did a couple of weeks ago. I have a new 722k coming to swap out for my 922 next Monday or Tuesday, from the online retailer I bought it from. I have rarely used the sling feature with my 922 in the now, 7 months I have had it. It is buggy and rarely works well if at all, and this "feature" cost me an extra $4.00 more a month to have. This really pisses me off . I have upgraded my computer, my internet provider with more bandwidth and the 922 sling feature still doesn't work well. Then there is the buggy software that the 922 continues to suffer with. The tv 2 user stopped/deleted bug has caused me to have to sub to AAD for L.A. distant networks , so I can move some of my timers to later time zone . This causes me to pay an extra $12.99 a month for ADD, just so I can record all the prime time shows, because if I try to record 3 or 4 shows at a time , the 922 will skip one of them or two of them. This is still going on even after the latest software update. The 922 is simply not worth the money and the 722 dvr that I traded in for it.

Question about the SlingLink power internet connection. In the Dish store it looks like you only have to purchase one $30 unit to attach to the router and the 722k somehow picks up the signal through its power cord. Is this true? Is there no need to buy 2 of these?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)