Sling Adaptor - known bugs with mobile device apps

JJinVista

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I couldn't find a thread which addressed software issues with the app / addon / plugins that are downloaded and run on computers / smart phones / mobile devices in supporting the Dish Sling Adapter. And since this Dish version of Sling seems to have it's own set of apps separate from Slingbox proper, I can't find much support info on what's supported, and what's not.

I've got a Dish Vip722k with a Dish Sling Adaptor hooked up to cable broadband internet in my home, and I'm noticing various bugs in the respective apps which are downloaded and run on mobile devices which I've tried in accessing my DVR remotely.

One thing which makes tracking the version of the various sling apps is that there doesn't appear to be a dedicated link on the Dish website for retrieving the app. It's "pushed" down to your device when you try to access your sling adapter and the software recognizes that an update is available. That's fine, but it would be nice to be able to monitor when new versions of the sling app is released, and if Dish would publish a list of known issues / fixes.

The sling software doesn't seem to work at all on a Windows Vista machine. The sling website says that their related product, Sling Watch isn't supported on XP nor Vista, so I guess the same is true for Dish Sling Adapter apps.

In running the Sling app for my Dish Sling Adaptor on a Windows 7 computer with a Firefox browser, I noted a few bugs (these are all using the sling app, not the home interface).
- In setting a timer, the "Start Early / End Late" values default to 1 and 3 minutes respectively, even if you've changed these original default settings on your home box.
- Trying to edit a timer to change the Start / End values results in an error "Failed to Set Timer Options 403".
- Can't delete a timer. Software says it's deleted, and it may or may not disappear from the timer list, but it's still there when viewed on your home unit.

In running the Sling app on an Android device:
- The last timer set doesn't show up in the timer list (large icons). Even if you close out the app and restart, it still doesn't refresh. The last timer does show up in the small icon list which you get when you select "Edit" timers, but you can only delete timers from this list. You can only "edit" a timer from the large icon dialog. Go figure.
- If you set two or more timers, the second-to-the-last-timer and older will appear in the timer list; just not the latest one.

I called Dish today inquiring on these problems. They have no clue as to what's supported. They insisted that they support Windows Vista, and that there must be a problem with "my browser setting" on my Windows 7 machine, which Microsoft could fix !? And this was the "advanced" tech support guy I was speaking with! I eventually convinced him to try what I was doing on his Windows 7 machine and he was able to replicate the problem. He supposedly opened a "problem ticket" to get it fixed.

Anyway, I just wanted to sound off as far as the awareness level (or lack of it) which Dish has with respect to it's Sling Adapter software, and invite anyone to post additional bugs they're aware of.

Only bug I see is an old but persistent one. That is, a couple of subscribed channels refuse to populate to the mobile app's guide. I've had a considerable amount of back & forth with DIRT members as well as Dish Support & the DishAnywhere team about it. The problem is easily replicated by using affected customer's login however, the culprit causing the problem for those customers remains a mystery. Last I heard, the issue was dropped into the laps of the Sling engineers - been some time so I'm guessing if you have this bug, just deal with it because it's here to stay.

When I had the adapter on my 722, I was able to access the recordings on my ehd. That is no longer possible with the Hopper 2k or the HWS. When I questioned this, I was told by DIRT that it was a bug on the 722. Bring back the bug.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)