Sling (and others) for Windows Phone 7 Series

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dmendenjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keystone state
Netflix, Sling (and others) for Windows Phone 7 Series

Just a blurb in engadget, but still exciting (once I break down and get a sling box)

Microsoft just dropped its first press release of MIX 10 on us, and in addition to detailing the Sliverlight and XNA-based Windows Phone 7 Series development situation, we've also got a list of launch software partners... There's some heavy hitters here, and everything from games to enterprise apps are represented -- notables include the Associated Press, Citrix, EA Mobile, Foursquare, Namco, Pangeonce, Pandora, Seesmic, Shazam, and Sling.(source)
I'll be a shopping for a smart phone in the fall; I really wanted to look in the android direction, but the more I read about WinPho7 the more intrigued I get.

Last edited:
Here's the excert from the press release mentioned above (via Microsoft)
A Marketplace for Windows Phone 7 Series Applications

Microsoft also showed how developers and designers will be able to bring applications and games to market with a new Windows Phone Marketplace. The Marketplace features a panoramic design and active merchandising to increase the discoverability of games and applications, and supports one-time credit card purchases, mobile operator billing and advertising-funded applications. The Marketplace will also enable customers to try applications before buying them and allow developers to cross-promote their applications through deep linking.

Several leading companies will be creating exciting applications and games for Windows Phone 7 Series. They include The Associated Press, Archetype International Inc., AWS Convergence Technologies – WeatherBug, Citrix Systems Inc., Clarity Consulting Inc., Cypress Consulting, EA Mobile, Fandango Inc., Foursquare Labs Inc., frog design inc., Glu Mobile Inc., Graphic.ly, Hudson Entertainment Inc., IdentityMine Inc., IMDb.com Inc., Larva Labs, Match.com LLC, Matchbox Mobile Ltd., Microsoft Game Studios, Namco Networks America Inc., Oberon Media Inc., Pageonce Inc., Pandora Media Inc., Photobucket Inc., PopCap Games Inc., Seesmic, Shazam Entertainment Ltd., Sling Media, SPB Software Inc., stimulant, TeleCommunications Systems Inc., Touchality LLC and Vertigo Software Inc.
(SOURCE)

Do you have netflix now?

I found the streaming to be limited, as most movies were not available via online streaming, it was mostly TV shows and older movies.

As far as Sling goes, I would expect it to work on the Windows Mobile 7 phones as it currently works on the older phones. The new Sling for Window Mobile 7 phones will probably use the new flash based streaming and will probably not work with the older slingboxes.

And even moreso the rumored end of uncapped data plans on cellphones will limit its appeal; however, even having access to the B movies and TV shows could add a lot of value to the new platform (since I don't think any of the other mobile web OS's can do that).

With Sling, I mainly pointed to that one because of the interest in Sling that there is here on the site. Microsoft is all about Silverlight and XNA, so I don't know if it will be flashed based streaming or not (although Adobe is said to be working on a port of flash for WP7S).

I'm just happy to see a decent list of developers involved in it; especially as a Zune owner. (what I wouldn't give for a zuneHD notepad or to-do app :river)

I'm totally disappointed with the the new Win 7 for mobile phones. Following in the path of Apple and putting the Nazi lockdown on it.

Android OS is going to be the place for me on my next phone.

It does stink that they are going the "all apps must flow from only our store" but it doesn't sound QUITE as locked as the iTunes App store. Personally, I'm going to try and wait to see it in action before taking the leap; whether jumping into the winphone or looking more toward the android (specifically, the rumored HTC Incredible).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)