Sling Extender

kc8kfg

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Cincinnati
Just came across a Sling Extender unit and thought I'd give it a try with my 722k w/ Sling adapter.
Upon first boot, the unit downloaded the newest firmware from Dish (still dated 2011, of course) and installed.
The unit then prompts for my Dish Online username and password, which it doesn't like and immediately sends me back to enter my user name with a bad username/password error.
I've seen some posts here where users mentioned owning this device or having one for sale; I'm wondering if this device even works at all now or if Dish is not allowing these devices to authenticate to the Dish Anywhere site.
Any information on this unit would be very helpful, I would love to get this to work if at all possible. Thanks!

Reactions: TheKrell
Because it was never released they shut down the authorization Servers it used.

Be happy it was never released as I had one and the picture quality would change based on your network conditions in your house.

Okay, that would make sense then. I wasn't sure what kind of bandwidth it would use compared to streaming through the browser; I've noticed that streaming inside my home uses every bit of 10Mbps and I'm sure on a 100Mbps network with a less robust router it would not be an effective solution. I was impressed that they included a 1080p interface on it, and that it was still able to download updates!
That said, if anyone wants one... ;) Thankfully I can return it, and I'm not really out anything anyway with it. Just thought it would be interesting to try out if it still worked.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts