Sling Media Announces Support for Adobe Flash Platform in Hardware and Software Produ

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Sling Media Announces Support for Adobe Flash Platform in Hardware and Software Products

Support for Adobe Flash Platform expands SlingPlayer reach to millions of new devices

Las Vegas, Nev., USA – Jan. 7, 2010 – Sling Media, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), today announced a collaboration with Adobe to support the Adobe Flash Platform. As part of the alliance, Sling Media will natively support Adobe® Flash® Player and Flash streaming protocols in the Slingbox® Pro-HD and Slingbox SOLO to deliver smooth H.264 video and audio to its award-winning SlingPlayers.

As a result, any Internet-connected device that includes Adobe Flash Player 10 or is Adobe Flash-enabled will be able to run the SlingPlayer application, such as media players, PCs, gaming consoles and mobile devices. The industry-wide adoption of Adobe Flash Player ensures that, as these devices and operating systems evolve, SlingPlayer will run on the widest possible set of platforms.

“SlingPlayer support for the Adobe Flash Platform will broaden the reach of our technology to a world of new devices,” said John M. Paul, executive vice president of Products at Sling Media. “Adobe’s continued delivery of new performance and feature capabilities make SlingPlayer updates and enhancements much faster to develop and distribute.”

Committed to providing the best user experience, Sling Media also plans to support the upcoming release of Flash Player 10.1 as soon as it becomes available.

“Flash Player delivers rich, high-quality interactive video and secure content to users across screens,” said Jim Guerard, vice president and general manager for Dynamic Media at Adobe. “With the support of the latest Flash Player, customers of Sling Media are able to view the latest and most engaging content available, whether they view it on their desktop or on a mobile device.”

How it Works
SlingPlayer will leverage the ability of Adobe Flash Player to use the power of a device’s hardware to accelerate the decoding of a video stream, creating a high-quality experience while conserving battery life. It will also support secure RTMP measures, including RTMPE encryption, supported by the Adobe Flash Platform to protect content as it streams from supported Slingboxes and SlingLoaded™ devices. As Sling Media continues to enhance its placeshifting technology, its support of the Adobe Flash Platform will ensure that these enhancements will reach the largest possible set of devices.

Sling Media will be demonstrating this new technology in Booth 9021 at the Consumer Electronics Show 2010 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

About Sling Media, Inc.
Sling Media, Inc., an affiliate of EchoStar Technologies L.L.C., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), is the leading provider of video placeshifting products and services for consumers and television service providers. Sling Media's product family includes the internationally acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox® that allows consumers to watch and control their living room television shows at any time, from any location, using PCs, Macs, PDAs and smartphones. For more information, visit Sling Media - Home.

this looked pretty cool. basically you can sling to any flash enabled device. they demoed with a ps3 and a netbook, with the netbook using nvidia gpu h264 accelleration to display hd content on a slow cpu.

Now is this actually going to happen or has Sling turn into a true Echostar company and it will be something that gets delayed for more the na year + or not show up at all.

I only wish DirecTV has some things to say more than just the funny glasses.

Yeah I wish there was more too , wish they media center pc card would of mysterously shown up and with a price tag. I wish they had introduced a new HR box with tivo.

Some times we just dont get what we want but Dish has this wierd way of blowing away everyones mind with amazing stuff just to never see it fully come out like it did at ces. If it comes out and it is for sale I will probably buy it i love sling boxes.

Personally DTV droped the ball not buying them.

You mean like DIRECTV2Go? ;)

We have a higher rate of actually putting things out.

Honestly I dont even remember what dtv2go was.

There was the reciever on pc card for windows media center
There was some portable media thing was that dtv2go
Then this is tivo- to me it is vaporeware until i have it in my hands.

They had it working on a PS3 in the booth. So it works. Now, will it see the light of day? I hope so since it took up an entire side of their booth. They also had reference chipsets from Broadcomm showing how the flash player will work on integrated System on a Chip devices. So if your new tv has flash support built in, the sling app should work.

The guy mentioned they will be converting their current app over to a flash based design, so there wont be multiple versions to keep track of.

We have a higher rate of actually putting things out.
You've forgotten the HMC and VOD on the R15. DIRECTV's track record toward the end of the official presences at CES wasn't all that stellar.

I don't think the Humax LCDs with MPEG4 DIRECTV tuners announced in 2006 ever showed up, but that's mostly on Humax.

Whatever happened to the "massive" Video Game League (later Championship Gaming Series)?

Is DIRECT Date a success?

How's that CD USA project going?

News Releases

All things considered, I don't think it is fair to say that DIRECTV's track record is decidedly better than anyone elses; especially when the competition has delivered on some of the announced features and DIRECTV hasn't

Part of it is corporate shake up.

Someone comes in , says ok were going to this this and this , then the next owner says no no no were going to do this this and this . and then the third investment group say no no no no the old man was wrong were going to do this this and this .

I could talk for hours how we are in a never ending circle jerk with NDS and other News Corp companies.

Charlie on the other hand deals with the hardware and software all by him self security is handled by NagraStar which is joint venture between Swiss Keuldski group and Echostar other wise charlie been pretty much all in house . Now Sling I dont know about there setup but.

To some it up Dish engineering department is better run then Direct engineering department.

It not about talent as we have some talented people I meet them. It about corporate structure and how it can blow some times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts