Sling question

viggen61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Northern New Jersey
I live in an apartment, and while I'd like to sometimes watch stuff "in the background" while I'm, say, at my computer, I'm not ready to pick up a Joey and another HDTV set for the office.

Would the Sling adapter enable me to watch on my Mac or iPad in another room with decent quality? I've already got Gigabit ethernet connecting everything. My DSL uplink speed is pretty slow, so I don't plan to use it out of the house much (if at all!).

Thanks!
1 Hopper/0 Joeys

Thanks, Scott! I'll probably order one so it comes on the next bill. Paying for a dish re-install (roof work) and Hopper upgrade this month!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was actually a bit disappointed in the performance on this. I have the HIC hardwired into my ethernet network which my desktop is connected to in another room. Given that an HDTV stream should be no more than 20Mbps, I was expecting near HD quality when I pulled up the stream on my mac. The quality was pretty good but by no means good enough to watch full screen on a 27" iMac. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be perfect but it looks to me like SD on the screen. Any suggestions?

The PC player has 3 options. Did you pick the highest (the only HD option) or let it pick the resolution for you?

I let it pickt he resolution figuring it would go HD if the throughput was there. Is having the hopper go through the HIC any problem you think? I can't imagine it is as Moca has several hundred Mbps throughput and its connected to my ethernet network. Is there a way to test ethernet througput?

I have two sling adapters ( 1 per Hopper) ....and a so-so Internet connection (6mb) usually around 5Mb.

I can get HD sometimes, so you should be able to get it with 20mb.

Make sure you connect to a HD channel in the guide....

I use my iPhone to connect, there is a software option to display the connection baud rate .....

Also an option to try to switch from SD to HD or HD to SD...

I use both my slings and connect to either Hopper depending on the traffic of each Hopper.

I really enjoy it

Good Luck

I have had success with mine when it comes to watching live television. I have one hopper and 2 joeys, my daughter does not have a Joey in her room and she uses her laptop to watch TV in there. I haven't heard any complaints but that may be she is use to youtube quality video. Also good success at work when I am doing my monthly outages I stream TV while waiting for patches and other stuff to finish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)