Sling Receiver

I think I should rephrase my question, My question was in regards to the "Sling Receiver 300" which would allow you to receive media onto your tv from your sling adapter or VIP 922. Sorry if I didn't phrase my question correctly.

I think I should rephrase my question, My question was in regards to the "Sling Receiver 300" which would allow you to receive media onto your tv from your sling adapter or VIP 922. Sorry if I didn't phrase my question correctly.
The Sling Extender has not been released yet. They have not given us the release date yet.

EXCELLENT question. I imagine it won't take much bandwidth if it's anything like the PC player plug-in. But it would really be nice if it worked like a standalone player and didn't take any.

Yeah it would be nice if it didn't take any. Between my DSL connection that can somewhat unreliable, the $4/month fee for the DVR integration, and the fact that there could be 2 other people in the house using the internet simultaneously, I'm not sure if Google TV would be a good alternative in my household.

A Sling player native app on GoogleTV wouldn't use your Internet connection, just like the PC player doesn't except for logging into the DISH Online and pulling up the Guide. Actual video network traffic doesn't leave your home network. It would work exactly like the iOS or Android phone/tablet. And really if Sling wanted to do this with the minimum amount of work, they would wait for the Ice Cream Sandwich dev tools so that they only have to write one app to work on phone/tablet/TV. Ice Cream Sandwich's announcement is scheduled for late Tuesday night. The dev tools can't be far behind.

Last edited:
A Sling player native app on GoogleTV wouldn't use your Internet connection, just like the PC player doesn't except for logging into the DISH Online and pulling up the Guide. Actual video network traffic doesn't leave your home network. It would work exactly like the iOS or Android phone/tablet. And really if Sling wanted to do this with the minimum amount of work, they would wait for the Ice Cream Sandwich dev tools so that they only have to write one app to work on phone/tablet/TV. Ice Cream Sandwich's announcement is scheduled for late Tuesday night. The dev tools can't be far behind.
Little correction.. what I call "administrivia" still goes out to the internet and is required.

Administrivia includes:
  • authentication of user
  • authentication of sling (you can be black balled)
  • Configuration push
    • allowed on lan
    • allowed on wan
    • remote type - to include downloads for updated remotes
    • control view - sling*box* users actually get remote controls (bullet above) where we regular Adapter users by default get play/pause/ff/rew buttons below the picture. When this controller information is not pushed down to your player for what ever reason, you get the default interface which allows you to activate a partially functioning but normal looking Dish Remote Controller
    • port information
    • ip internally, ip externally
    • configuration servers, msg servers, sparcs, and update firmware checking/push
  • link quality metrics (packet losses, stream quality setting, etc)
  • re-auth/continued auth ... most likely every 1800 seconds along with the health / "I'm alive" ping, the ability to cut you off because your status has changed

There is/was some stand alone that may not require such things.. but it seems in the past year or two, the non-authenticated method has been left behind, and so now most or all of the administrivia is required without special modifications otherwise .. (special gateway server perhaps running a localized Sling Authentication Server/Service?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)