Sling Remote Access freezes TV1 function

mrhand

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Vancouver, WA
Just received my Sling Adapter and hooked it up. I'm able to watch on both my computer and phone, but whenever remote access is in use, the TV1 tuner on my TV simultaneously freezes. Remote doesn't respond, can't change channel or pull up guide...no response from the remote at all. As soon as I terminate the remote access connection, TV1 unfreezes and returns to normal function.

This isn't normal operating procedure is it?

Here's what the front panel lights look like:

When not using Sling remote access - single mode, TV1 green light on
When Sling remote access is in use - changes to dual mode, TV1 green light on, TV2 blue light on
After terminating Sling remote access - back to single mode, TV1 green light on

Does the remote I'm using have anything to do with it? 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, has the blue #2 UHF PRO symbol on the bottom. Didn't think using the #1 or #2 mattered.

#1 .. you must use the #1 remote or which ever is assigned to Remote 1 for the receiver ... if you don't then you're not getting anywhere because the Sling takes over the functions of TV2 ... which is why it puts you into Dual Mode ...

it could take a day for things to be stable .. when that happens you may end up with starting something via sling, and it starts showing on TV1 rather than the web (very common occurance).

You should also try the older Dish Remote Access site (click the x not the button, in the 'dra going away' box)
https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/equipment/processSatTimer.do

That uses your original Dish Network username and password.

A back end into the system is dish.sling.com .. however you need to create a user account at Slingbox.com first.. (use the same username, email address, and password as with dish network)

be lucky that you're getting access to the DVR ... many are having problems getting connected.

#1 .. you must use the #1 remote or which ever is assigned to Remote 1 for the receiver ... if you don't then you're not getting anywhere because the Sling takes over the functions of TV2 ... which is why it puts you into Dual Mode ...

Okay, found an old IR #1 and seems to work fine now. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
be lucky that you're getting access to the DVR ... many are having problems getting connected.

Including myself. There's about a 25% chance it'll see the DVR with the Sling Adapter, without me having to manually reset via the DVR. Kinda defeats the purpose of Sling, if you have to be in front of the DVR to make Sling even work. The one without the Sling Adapter, of course, always works... I can still play Live TV on the Sling DVR, but can't access recordings. Also, playing DVR content via Sling will sometimes play only on TV1, which doesn't get broadcasted over Sling, so on the Sling all I see is Live TV, then if I turn on TV1 I see the recording playing. I've tried DRA and DO. Pretty much the same results.

Still waiting on the rebate here. I'm really hoping I didn't just blow $99 on a paperweight. Hope the rebate goes through, I'm sure Mary will help when the time comes (going to wait until the 30th or so.) But so far my experience with the Sling Adapter is... Mediocre... Just as I expected really, from reading everything here. Which is why I'm just now going for the rebate. Maybe I should've just waited for it to come down to $30. Oh well can't do anything about it now.

...But, when it works, it's great! Really wish you could choose TV1 or TV2 on it. In other words, wish it didn't always take over TV2.

Oh, that reminds me, has anyone noticed that on Sling, when you Skip Forward or Skip Back, the stream will play back, but at a slightly slower rate than realtime? Like it's in slow-mo, but it's a very subtle difference, and it fixes itself after about 15 seconds or so...

You should also try the older Dish Remote Access site (click the x not the button, in the 'dra going away' box)
https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/equipment/processSatTimer.do

That uses your original Dish Network username and password.

I wondered what happened to the link to the older version to access the DVR remotely. That link actually lets me see my DVR Events while the Dish app on the smart phone and the current remote access that they are using does not show my DVR Events or timers. What is up with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)