Sling Solo and 622

edpkp81

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Lake Ariel, PA
I'm thinking of getting a Sling Solo and connecting to my VIP 622. When I access live TV via Sling does that mean those at home watching TV1 will have to watch the same channel? What about when I access something on my DVR - will those at home have to watch what I am watching?

Thanks.

Yes, that's it exactly. This is why those of us with dual-tuner receivers and Sling (or Hava in my case) want TV2 to respond to an IR blaster.

Thanks, that what I figured. I have two other non-VIP receivers I could connect the Slinbox to but my router is near the 622.

Thanks, that what I figured. I have two other non-VIP receivers I could connect the Slinbox to but my router is near the 622.

There are a few other options so you are not stuck using the receiver closest to your router:

1. Wireless gaming adapter/bridge. This will allow you to connect your slingbox to your network regardless of its location in the house. I'm guessing that your router is a wireless router.

2. Use a SlingLink or similar product. Link below describes how it works. One unit goes next to your router and the other unit goes wherever your SlingBox is. Again, allowing your SlingBox to connect to your network regardless of location.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slt-howitworks

Yes, that's it exactly. This is why those of us with dual-tuner receivers and Sling (or Hava in my case) want TV2 to respond to an IR blaster.

I have a vip722 and was thinking of getting the Hava gold box for $50 today. I take it that it will not work off of tv 2 in dual mode? I take it while I'm at the office I would have to watch the same thing my roomate would be watching also?

I was thinking of getting it cause it was only $55 with shipping and tax. I do have two vip722 and there are only two of us living in the house so I could really deadicate (sp) one to the Hava Box. I could also wait to see how much the new boxes with sling are but I'm sure they won't be $55. I'm sure there will be a higher fee to lease them.

Wow, great price on the Gold. It's an ugly color red, BTW. (Just put it out of sight.) If recording programs is important to you, make sure the Gold does that. IIRC it did not at one time.

Yes, we are stuck with manipulating the TV1 output since TV2 cannot accept IR commands from the Hava.

That is tempting. I have been trying to figure out what the difference is between the Gold and my model (Platinum), other than the ghastly color. On the old Player software, you could not record the stream from the Gold, whereas you most certainly could using the Platinum and the Player software for that model. But Hava finally came out with 1.8.0 for Gold, and that difference may have evaporated. (Not sure about that.) If color is the only remaining difference, why would anybody buy the Platinum?

I think the Platinum is wireless and that is about the only difference.

This is from the woot forums:

just spoke to the HAVA TECH SUPPORT dude.

dude says virtually no difference between features offered by HAVA GOLD and HAVA PLATINUM (after the firmware upgrade) !!

dude says virtually no difference between features offered by HAVA GOLD and HAVA PLATINUM (after the firmware upgrade)!!
That corresponds to my memory of Hava's own forum when they released 1.8.0 for Gold. But now that I'm looking for the post, I can't find it. :(
I think the Platinum is wireless and that is about the only difference.
No, the Platinum HD has no wireless adapter, so I think color and price is the only remaining difference. The Titanium HD has a USB port good for a wireless adapter or external hard disk.

I got one. For $55 with tax and shipping I figured I couldn't go wrong. Probably won't be able to use it at work but could use it on my lap sitting outside when the weather is nice.

...so I think color and price is the only remaining difference.
Well, I hope you are still happy because I went blind to the obvious. The Gold has a jack for component input, but HD is not supported. Apparently the unit now called Platinum HD was originally released and called "Gold." They renamed that and then brought out a new model called "Gold", which confused even their own support personnel! They were making an entry level unit by painting it an ugly color red, and by crippling certain features such as the HD inputs and time shifting (recording) and trick play.

I still can't find any posts on the Hava forums stating that recording is now possible with the 1.8.0 player and firmware for the Hava Gold. I did find one thread that said you can use MCE to record from the Gold. But I think you are stuck with SD inputs. That's not as "crippled" as it sounds since the digitization quality I see with my Platinum HD is quite good. I never actually tried the component inputs since it just down-scales anyhow to 720X480i before digitizing, so "why bother?"

I also have no idea what would happen if you tried to load either firmware for the Platinum or use the Player software for the Platinum with a Hava Gold.

Last edited:
Not really worried about the Hd not being supported. I mean really it's being ran over the internet, and wouldn't you need a computer, router, or laptop that supported hd. I would someday like to go all out and get a really nice box or get the vip 922 but for $55 this will be a good starter unite for me to play around with and see if it's worth maybe in a year to two for something better.

I agree with those goals as well. I wanted something to play with, so long as it was significantly cheaper than a Slingbox and had no DRM issues. The Hava Platinum HD fit the bill quite nicely, though at a cost double what you're paying. ;)

Check out woot today. www.woot.com. I just got the gold box last week for $50. Still thinking of getting this one today but not sure if I would get much better picture quailty then my gold box. I could upgrade though and give the gold box as a christmas gift. Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts