Sling TV expands access to its Cloud DVR

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/09/s...oud-dvr-as-streaming-tv-competition-heats-up/

Dish’s streaming TV service, Sling TV, is today launching its new Cloud DVR feature to more customers through a “First Look” early access program. The DVR was first announced back in November, but has been in private beta for Roku users until now.

The feature works a lot like a standard DVR, but instead of storing recordings locally on a hardware device, they’re stored online in the cloud.

The best part about cloud-based storage is that, seemingly, you’d never have to run out of storage space for programs, assuming you paid for an expanded tier.

However, Sling TV isn’t offering infinite storage or even different storage capacities.

Instead, “First Look” customers pay an extra $5 per month for up to 50 hours of storage, with no expiration on those programs. When capacity runs out, the oldest “watched” recordings are removed first, to make room for others.

Yikes, $5/month for 50 hours of storage. I'm sure the content owners had a say (and cut) in that.

When capacity runs out, the oldest “watched” recordings are removed first, to make room for others.

So customers are paying for a DVR service that doesn't even allow them the ability to control which shows get deleted. What's the point of not having time limits on recorded shows like PS Vue has? With my former cable system I could tag certain programs as "Never Delete" or with other degrees of save priority when space became an issue.

Reactions: andy_horton
I don't like this at all!! I've got the option to go back to Comcast and get the X1 with a lot more storage, apps, access to all my local channels instead of me using an antenna and only getting the big 4. Plus the option to skip X4 spped. Doubt very seriously Sling will offer that!!

I don't think Sling is ment for hard core TV watchers. If you want to save 4 TB's of shows and movies you may or may not watch someday Sling isn't for you.

$5 is ridiculous. I pay $30 for PS Vue and the extra $ isn't for DVR. It's for the channel selection. We dig sports. So the $30 option is nice with FS1 and 2 included. Gotta get orange and blue to get those channels and the ESPN 's.

As always everyone is different. I'm sure $25 for Sling with DVR will work for a lot of people. Options and competition are great things.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: djont57 and Yespage
I don't like this at all!! I've got the option to go back to Comcast and get the X1 with a lot more storage, apps, access to all my local channels instead of me using an antenna and only getting the big 4. Plus the option to skip X4 spped. Doubt very seriously Sling will offer that!!
How much is the X1 DVR/receiver fee? $15? More?

Yikes, $5/month for 50 hours of storage. I'm sure the content owners had a say (and cut) in that.
If I have the numbers right, if you have the cheapest package $20 a month, it still only brings it to $25 a month, which is still the cheapest way to get ESPN.

The DVR doesn't have a timer against it, which helps (don't need to rush) and hurts (because you don't need to rush you may easily get to the 50 hr limit), then you actually starting to need to rush because new shows keep recording. So for the low income Grandparents, this actually works. For most others, they'll need to keep on top of things.

However, I think the biggest issue still is the online app access. The $5 extra for Vue is easily made up for that access.

When capacity runs out, the oldest “watched” recordings are removed first, to make room for others.

So customers are paying for a DVR service that doesn't even allow them the ability to control which shows get deleted. What's the point of not having time limits on recorded shows like PS Vue has? With my former cable system I could tag certain programs as "Never Delete" or with other degrees of save priority when space became an issue.
I thought that inputting "SAVE" in the "Protect" window of the "Edit" function on my Hopper with Sling ensured that recording would not be removed until all unmarked "SAVE" have been deleted. Am I right?

I was in on the Sling DVR beta on our Roku 3. Looks like we are grandfathered in unless we stop their service. So far we keep the 100 hours and its free. I can't see paying $ 5.00 for only 50 hours

I was expecting an extra fee of $5. But I was also expecting that the dvr would 100 hrs of programming. 50 hours is less than what a 500gb hdd can hold, not very realistic in today's world. My cable deal expires in September and was hoping to switch to Sling because they have the Hallmark channels for my wife, while PS Vue doesn't. Well, I'll see what happens this fall and either hope that I can get another deal from my cableco or another streaming service gets BBCA, Hallmark channels and a dvr for $30 - $35.

Once Dish starts rolling with "extra fees" on any of their services they never end.

I guess Sling tv just got knocked off the list of choices I'm considering. It's bad enough that Charter/Spectrum is going to raise me to $64.95 a month for internet ONLY, once I cancel their crappy tv programming. I was paying $94.85 a month for internet + their Silver tv package, and they just UPPED me to $132.62. They also can't be persuaded to drop the price under any circumstances, and I have no other choices locally. A big chunk of that is FEES.

These guys just don't get it, and now they are going to start to pollute the streaming choices with extra "fees" for things that should be included.

Reactions: osu1991
Once Dish starts rolling with "extra fees" on any of their services they never end.

I guess Sling tv just got knocked off the list of choices I'm considering. It's bad enough that Charter/Spectrum is going to raise me to $64.95 a month for internet ONLY, once I cancel their crappy tv programming. I was paying $94.85 a month for internet + their Silver tv package, and they just UPPED me to $132.62. They also can't be persuaded to drop the price under any circumstances, and I have no other choices locally. A big chunk of that is FEES.

These guys just don't get it, and now they are going to start to pollute the streaming choices with extra "fees" for things that should be included.
So, you would prefer they raise the price on the base package for everyone to include DVR service, which up until now didn't exist? If it should be included in the base price, then that raises the base price. Gotcha.

So, you would prefer they raise the price on the base package for everyone to include DVR service, which up until now didn't exist? If it should be included in the base price, then that raises the base price. Gotcha.

What makes you think that won't happen anyway?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Has anyone else had issues being able to even see a DVR option on Sling? I'm trying to check it out with a free week with them (really like Vue, but only Sling has Nick Jr), and I can't even find an option to add the DVR, neither the Rokus (both 2's, one new, one older) or online via the subscription (the online help shows it is under extras, but I don't see the DVR under there). Sling help via email hasn't been much help yet. And yes, it has been 48 hours since I started back up.

Please don't tell me I have to pay for a month before the DVR pops up.

Question for those with SlingTV and a Channel Master DVR+. Are you able to access your cloud DVR programs from the APP on Channel Master even if you set to record it from another device?

Took a few days, but the DVR finally popped up. Pretty good stuff. Sling continues to not have as good quality picture wise as Vue or NBC Sports, but it is certainly not bad either.

So I'll be sticking with Sling and saying goodbye to Vue. PS Vue is great, but Sling has Nick Jr. which is an important channel in my household, and now that I can record the EPL with Sling, I'm set. $5 for 50 hours is a little steep, but it doesn't expire and evens the price difference between Sling and Vue for me anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts