Sling TV for Free, no subscription cost

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No FX, FXX or AMC or Broadcast Networks no deal.

Cord cutter here. Dish customer for 7 years, cut 3 years ago (now using ota with window media center as a dvr with netflix). HATED the fees (not just Dish, pick any provider, as it's now part the industry's business model). With streaming, I don't have to go into fee finding detective mode on my bill, as the hardware fee vector is nonexistent (a fee fee here, a fee fee there, everywhere a fee fee). I'm in.

Its a good start. I wonder if they needed to get a minimum of $20 from each user to make it work. I thought it would have been cool to basically go completely modular with it. Start with a $10 Disney or $10 Turner package. Then add on in $5 or $10 add-on packages (depending on the number of channels) to kind of build a custom set. I know that for some it doesn't make sense but I am a person would rather pay $30 for 20 channels I watch vs. $60 for 100 channels of which 20 channels I watch.

So, if one has this new service, I wonder if you can use them to authorize with Watch ESPN, TNT, etc, using Dish as a provider? If so, you can watch ESPN via Sling TV, and, watch ESPN via their app or other methods.

Noone knows yet, exactly, if that requires the TV subscription to have access to that, or if the SlingTV will also. I imagine it would, but I could see it as a way to give the extra value to customers who pay for traditional TV.

If a Sling TV account does allow you to authorize with the content sites, then, this becomes a good value, at least to me. The one stream by itself is hard to swallow for me, but, this would be a way around it. I use XBMC et al to allow access in some rooms, so, can easily use it to watch the stream in theater room via ESPN site, etc. Looks pretty good to me currently even via streaming. Better than no stream! Might still have ESPN3 then also.

I agree that it would be a positive thing for the consumer, the only thing I can think against it, is if Dish offers more than one stream in the future, and charges for it, it would be a lost revenue when people figured that out. Also, what exactly does the contract state about the streaming service, that Dish holds with the channel owners. That, I think, will be the biggest factor. I'm sure I am not alone in wishing that we could see some of these TV contracts. I would even be willing to read some old expired ones, just to get a sense of what is actually written in them.

Well, it doesn't entirely remove the value of charging for another stream. It's easier to just get it on the tv than mess around with apps, websites, xbmc, etc. so there would still be some value there. I actually expect you will be able to authorize via a Sling TV account, but we'll see. I have 6 months left to get that answered! It's becoming more money than I want to spend any more, so, will likely cancel once term is up. But, might actually go for this service. Already have antenna hooked up and HDHOMERUN to record all local program ala Primetime live.

Reactions: ChadT41
I asked Joe Clayton this morning and he took me there are NO plans for a free ad supported started.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I concur. I will not be leaving the traditional model anytime soon, but I also love channel surfing. If I were able to issue my complaint, I would pay the current every day price with no objections, but I would wish that they combine a lot of the channels to limit the number of channels. Do not need 500 repeats of L&O

I concur. I will not be leaving the traditional model anytime soon, but I also love channel surfing. If I were able to issue my complaint, I would pay the current every day price with no objections, but I would wish that they combine a lot of the channels to limit the number of channels. Do not need 500 repeats of L&O
Cable/Sat channels are like megapixels in cameras. The idiot consumers think that the more there are, the better. So, products are marketed that way.

I asked Joe Clayton this morning and he took me there are NO plans for a free ad supported started.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Will believe that when I don't see it. If not Sling then Google, Amazon, Verizon, AT$T, Sony,Comcast,etc. etc.etc. etc. etc.. will more than gladly fill the void. It's the great race/Holy Grail to get this 2 way interactive highly, highly highly profitable defined/targeted TV viewer on the hook. How are the OTA operators able to make a living giving away their signal for free? Take Back TV.

Yes , you could be right, but I wonder why DISH doesn't release how many subs have the hopper. I am really curious how many of the older receivers are out there that need to be upgraded. While I am thinking about it ,since there are plenty of subs who don't need the whole house system, will DISH create a new two tuner receiver model to replace the older Vip receiver and if so will it be in the same mold and interface as the hopper? Or will they just keep on keeping on with the older Vip receivers till they just do away with them threw sub attrition?
Because "screens" represent a more accurate number of "viewers" as opposed to accounts which are also referred to as "subscribers." Yes, a few of those "screens" may be mom and dad's bedroom screen, but the majority are going to be the kids or older parents primary TV they watch their unique content on. "Screens" give a more accurate VALUE of how many PEOPLE are watching Dish services, and this affects Dish's ad selling strategy to advertisers, like the ads that are dropped in. Number of subscribers is less relevant. Advertisers want to know how many PEOPLE they can reach, not just the number of households.

I can't watch online network programming now with all the commercials you must watch, I seriously doubt even free I could do ad supported. But to be fair I'm not the target for that service.

Just as in war, you are a High Value Target, I have seen the numbers (google it) what a mark is worth, it makes subscription fees look funny, although the NFL has outlawed targeting, big media is just now getting primed to hit you between your ears,, anyone who watches a screen, be it large or small is a target, I think it is Pregnant woman who is the most sought after, they will impulse, drop cash buy like no other, (the free Baby Channel). The agents of change are going to drag you into the future kicking and streaming. Remember this is two way TV, They find out you like steak, they will be slapping you right in the face with a big hunk of prime rib next time you turn on your tv, and to boot, all you have to do is click a button or speak into your remote and bamm, UPS at your door with fresh prime rib. wallet is much thinner in process, the stated goal, will you and I fall prey? probably so.

Last edited:
I can't tell if this is a thread about Sling TV or Sling TV for free (which seems to be incorrect). But if you are watching live TV, I don't see how you could be seeings any more ads than through cable or sat watching live. Now the VOD, or 3 day history, could be ad filled but I still wonder if it will be any longer than the live broadcast. Like a normal 30 min show that has about 8 minutes of ads, will probably still have 8 minutes of ads. Unless they add overlays like on youtube, in that case I wouldn't stand for it.

Kreskin see's fewer mucho highly targeted ads, we will already be hearded into genres, just a matter of a little data mining to find your likes/dislikes. It will be a bargain for people that can resist hitting the buy button.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)