Sling TV home setup

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
How soon will Dish/Echostar release their Home receiver/distribution box for Sling TV? Will other companies be coming out with their own box? Will we even need a Box? What is the best technology for a home with 4 TV's in different rooms. Most setups are currently using 4 roku's, one on each TV. With all the streams we are going to have coming into the home,, 1-4 separate streams from Sling TV, 15-60 streams/channels from OTA antenna, 1-25 streams from the soon to be released mini packages from the Android TV's, Amazons, Directs, etc. etc. etc.. It's almost limitless at the streams we will have at our fingertips. Is wireless tech good enough to distribute a quality signal to each TV? We will want to be able to connect our OTA antenna into the box. Will Dish have to buyout Roku for some kind of patent or does Dish already have the Tech to make this new distribution box? Could it be something as simple as a wireless router that could do the authenticating and then send the separate streams to the different TV's? Will all the different subs be tied to our individual cell phones/tablets and we just carry them to the TV we want to watch them on? How in the heck is Sling going to Sling all this stuff around?

The way a typical family setup might look like in the near future.
husband with the Sling TV sports pack subscription.
2 children, one with a Sling TV sub. other with a sub. from one of the soon to be services,
wife with a free advertiser paid sub. from one of the new streaming services

say the children want to watch a special show with the family in the den but their subscription is tied to the roku on their personal TV (bedroom) they would have to disconnect their roku and bring it to the den . Got to be a better way to handle all these different streams that we are going to be bombarded with. Every new carrier is not going to carry the same channels anymore like the current bundles do, so the personal mini packs seem to be the future.

Last edited:
My understanding is it will work through an app designed for varies different devices. Roku, xbox one, pc, mac, ect. Dish wont actually have a box of their own, there is really no need for this service.

You would simply need to have a device capable of downloading the app at each tv to watch (and have a subscription). Of course at this time, you will be limited to one active stream per account. To watch in your bedroom while the wife watches in den, you would need two separate accounts.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
The only problem is that Sling tv will require you to sub to the basic $20.00 core pack of channels and then if you want to ADD sports channels , Kid channels, News channels , you can for an additional $5.00 price for each mini pack. So with 1 stream available at a time, that will get pretty expensive if Mom has to have her own steam , Dad has to have his own stream and the kids have to have their own streams. So a family of 4 would need to pay $80.00 just for the core package before they even add the mini pack of their choosing, just so each member can have their own stream available. That is why I think this service is intended for the millennial generation (under 25 ) who are on the go , single or married with no kids. The traditional DISH sat pack or cable would be more intended for the families. With DISH the whole family can use TV Everywhere and stream as many channels they want at no extra price. They just need the mobile device of their choice.

The only problem is that Sling tv will require you to sub to the basic $20.00 core pack of channels and then if you want to ADD sports channels , Kid channels, News channels , you can for an additional $5.00 price for each mini pack. So with 1 stream available at a time, that will get pretty expensive if Mom has to have her own steam , Dad has to have his own stream and the kids have to have their own streams. So a family of 4 would need to pay $80.00 just for the core package before they even add the mini pack of their choosing, just so each member can have their own stream available. That is why I think this service is intended for the millennial generation (under 25 ) who are on the go , single or married with no kids. The traditional DISH sat pack or cable would be more intended for the families. With DISH the whole family can use TV Everywhere and stream as many channels they want at no extra price. They just need the mobile device of their choice.
TV has become personal and mobile. With the retiring jumbo one size fits all bundle model the kids and wife cannot all take their "TV Everywhere" with them when they are out with friends, work etc. because "TV Everywhere" only allows 1 stream. Is this correct?

But is that really the use case for the majority of TV watchers. I know that there is a crazy number of TVs per household but does each individual person really need thier own feed? Of course it varies from household to household I am doing the same as you and making a broad assumption, but my assumption would be for a famil of 3-4 I would think 2 streams would be normal depending on the age of the kids. I usually share a stream with my wife and then my daughter has her channels she likes. In my case our watching doesn't overlap. The kid has control of the TV while she is awake and rather than be off by myself watching TV I am watching whatever she is. Then after bedtime my wife and I watch TV, the same TV. So maybe on weekends there might be potential to have 2 TVs going at the same time, but its rare. I am sure as the child grows and watching more mature TV programming, tastes may diverge and there would be a stronger need for separate streams.

What I am saying is for some people this is not going to work. They need >2 streams with eh addons and at that point cable or Sat is better. But I think this might fit a large portion of people wanting to keep their TV bills low and still enjoy their favorite shows and channels.

But is that really the use case for the majority of TV watchers. I know that there is a crazy number of TVs per household but does each individual person really need thier own feed? Of course it varies from household to household I am doing the same as you and making a broad assumption, but my assumption would be for a famil of 3-4 I would think 2 streams would be normal depending on the age of the kids. I usually share a stream with my wife and then my daughter has her channels she likes. In my case our watching doesn't overlap. The kid has control of the TV while she is awake and rather than be off by myself watching TV I am watching whatever she is. Then after bedtime my wife and I watch TV, the same TV. So maybe on weekends there might be potential to have 2 TVs going at the same time, but its rare. I am sure as the child grows and watching more mature TV programming, tastes may diverge and there would be a stronger need for separate streams. It's here to stay and thrive just wondering how the ecosystem is going to work inside the home.

What I am saying is for some people this is not going to work. They need >2 streams with eh addons and at that point cable or Sat is better. But I think this might fit a large portion of people wanting to keep their TV bills low and still enjoy their favorite shows and channels.
In order to work, the "Take Back TV" model (the advertiser supported/paid, low/no cost to the consumer model) has to be personalized to collect the needed data for the placement of highly (and I mean Highly) targeted ads. Just as TV existed for decades (free to the consumer, advertiser paid) before the rise of big cable. That's the secret sauce for these screaming low prices for the new model of TV. As the new model unfolds it will actually get cheaper, no cost in a lot of cases.

In order to work, the "Take Back TV" model (the advertiser supported/paid, low/no cost to the consumer model) has to be personalized to collect the needed data for the placement of highly (and I mean Highly) targeted ads. Just as TV existed for decades (free to the consumer, advertiser paid) before the rise of big cable. That's the secret sauce for these screaming low prices for the new model of TV. As the new model unfolds it will actually get cheaper, no cost in a lot of cases.

I don't know if that has anything to do with the price at this point. I am pretty sure the low coast has to do with the low number of channels and that those channels come from just two providers (ABC and Turner). Add on that you don't have DVR capability so ads are harder to skip. Can you show me where this "Take Back TV" model is detailed as being ad supported? Is this just your theory?

The Big Media companies have been screaming that the one size fits all bundle is the cheapest form of TV, If they had to break down the bundles or go a la cart that the prices would skyrocket yet Dishes Take Back TV campaign has lowered the price of a small bundle with the inclusion of ESPN the most expensive channel out there. How did they do that? You just answered your own question when you stated that the ads could not be skipped. We are way ahead of the curve in this discussion it's still over most peoples heads. Start another thread on this subject and I will share with you what I know, meanwhile how to make this new world of Sling Tv streaming content combined with all the other streams coming into our home work together smoothly.

TV has become personal and mobile. With the retiring jumbo one size fits all bundle model the kids and wife cannot all take their "TV Everywhere" with them when they are out with friends, work etc. because "TV Everywhere" only allows 1 stream. Is this correct?
I guess you are right on the one stream at a time on tv everywhere. But with the Hopper with sling I can transfer my shows to my I-pad mini and take them to work to watch and my wife can watch tv at home over the hopper and my kid can stream over Tv everywhere over his I-phone. But there is also the ability to watch in 4 rooms in my house over 4 different tvs and 4 different channels or shows at a time.

But is that really the use case for the majority of TV watchers. I know that there is a crazy number of TVs per household but does each individual person really need thier own feed? Of course it varies from household to household I am doing the same as you and making a broad assumption, but my assumption would be for a famil of 3-4 I would think 2 streams would be normal depending on the age of the kids. I usually share a stream with my wife and then my daughter has her channels she likes. In my case our watching doesn't overlap. The kid has control of the TV while she is awake and rather than be off by myself watching TV I am watching whatever she is. Then after bedtime my wife and I watch TV, the same TV. So maybe on weekends there might be potential to have 2 TVs going at the same time, but its rare. I am sure as the child grows and watching more mature TV programming, tastes may diverge and there would be a stronger need for separate streams.

IN my family we watch TV. We watch it from the time we get up till the time we go to bed. We all have different tastes and only watch as a family in the living room when there is a movie we all want to watch. My 14 year old has is own taste with a lot of animation comedy and my wife loves HGTV and the LIFETIME (battered B*tch channel) ,so we need at least 3 different boxes to watch it all . We are all home on weekends and it would be a nightmare trying to agree to watch the same thing.

I guess you are right on the one stream at a time on tv everywhere. But with the Hopper with sling I can transfer my shows to my I-pad mini and take them to work to watch and my wife can watch tv at home over the hopper and my kid can stream over Tv everywhere over his I-phone. But there is also the ability to watch in 4 rooms in my house over 4 different tvs and 4 different channels or shows at a time.
And the cost of service to those 4 TV's are how much?

This all sounds fine and dandy but I'd still rather keep my satellite receivers with DVR capabilities. All I need is for Dish to come out with a Top 100 package and pair that with my Amazon Prime and possibly Netflix and I'm good to go. Hopefully the new streaming services and current pay TV services can live together because I think the current pay TV service is still going to be needed.

Reactions: ChadT41
This all sounds fine and dandy but I'd still rather keep my satellite receivers with DVR capabilities. All I need is for Dish to come out with a Top 100 package and pair that with my Amazon Prime and possibly Netflix and I'm good to go. Hopefully the new streaming services and current pay TV services can live together because I think the current pay TV service is still going to be needed.
If the shoe fits.......
With you being a Dish dealer, do you think Dish/echostar will intro. any hardware for the home to support the New TV model (ad supported, low cost streaming) Sling TV? What type equipment is needed for the new streaming multi TV homes?

If the shoe fits.......
With you being a Dish dealer, do you think Dish/echostar will intro. any hardware for the home to support the New TV model (ad supported, low cost streaming) Sling TV? What type equipment is needed for the new streaming multi TV homes?

No there will not be any Sling TV equipment. As of now Sling TV is not a DISH product... it is now a separate company operating on its own.

And again THERE WILL BE NO AD SUPPORTED VERSION OF SLING TV. And they will already be inserting ads in the local avails just like they do now.

No there will not be any Sling TV equipment. As of now Sling TV is not a DISH product... it is now a separate company operating on its own.

And again THERE WILL BE NO AD SUPPORTED VERSION OF SLING TV. And they will already be inserting ads in the local avails just like they do now.
I actually am curious about that.... are they inserting their own slingtv ads or will it just be the same ads that are on the satellite service? (IE using the same feed for sling tv that they send to the satellite). Hope its not going to turn into the hulu issue where the same ad plays constantly.

THERE WILL BE NO AD SUPPORTED VERSION OF SLING TV.

Now you've confused me. Do you mean to say that there will be no free Sling TV? I personally got that days ago. If ads aren't supporting these channels along with the carriage fees, then I have really missed something.

Correct there will be no free Sling TV. It will be $20 a month. There will however be a free trial available when irs ready to launch which will be sometime before the end of the month.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If SLING TV is a separate company are you going to start a separate forum for it? If it isn't part of DISH it doesn't belong in the DISH forum.

But is that really the use case for the majority of TV watchers. I know that there is a crazy number of TVs per household but does each individual person really need thier own feed? Of course it varies from household to household I am doing the same as you and making a broad assumption, but my assumption would be for a famil of 3-4 I would think 2 streams would be normal depending on the age of the kids.
Netflix gives subscribers two concurrent logins for the basic subscription, then charges a little extra per month for additional concurrent logins.

Dish should do the same. Two logins with the package price. A few more dollars for add'l logins.

Reactions: TheKrell
And the cost of service to those 4 TV's are how much?
12.00 for the hopper , 10.00 for the super joey , 14.00 for the two joeys= $36.00 for equipment fees. Now take the credits off that I got for CNN ANd Fox and you get $36.00 - 35.00 = $1.00 for equipment fees for the next 3 months and then $11.00 for the next 3 months after that. After that call and get more credits and freebies like I 've been doing for the last 3 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts