Sling TV may add broadcast networks but won't force you to buy them

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Sling TV may add broadcast networks but won't force you to buy them

Dish's online service for live TV might add channels like ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox -- some of the biggest on television -- but it won't put them in the essential package you have to buy.Dish Network's Sling TV service offers live TV over the Internet, with the basic required package of more than 20 channels costing $20 a month. David Katzmaier/CNET

Broadcast networks may claim to be the home of must-see TV, but Internet television service Sling TV won't make you pay for them.

Sling TV made "a key decision from the beginning" to omit broadcast content from its basic packages, Chief Executive Roger Lynch said at an industry conference in Chicago on Thursday. "You'll see us launch broadcast networks in a tier," he said, referring to collections of channels that subscribers can pay extra to add to the basic $20-a-month service.

Dish Network's Sling TV was the first of a parade of services launching this year that deliver multiple channels of live TV over the Internet directly to consumers. Playstation followed with its Vue service, and Apple is expected to launch a rival as well. For television programmers and distributors, fears that they could miss out on a younger generation of customers who watch video online outweighed worries about undermining their main business in traditional pay TV. The new services are being watched closely for signs of how the TV industry will take shape as viewer habits change.

Many reviews of Sling TV have noted its lack of broadcast channels -- ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS, which are sometimes the most-watched channels on television -- as a hole in Dish's new offering. But Lynch said its target market never saw those channels as essential to a service like Sling. (CBS is the parent company of CNET.)

"They're already getting that content. They're getting it from Hulu, they're getting it from over-the-air" with an antenna, he said. "We didn't want to force people to buy channels they were already seeing."

Lynch's comments elide the fact that Hulu -- which is owned by the parents of broadcasters ABC, NBC and Fox -- doesn't offer the entirety of their programming. And Hulu uniformly lacks the major live events, like NFL games and awards shows, that are often the biggest audience draws on those channels. In addition, over-the-air signals don't reach all homes, so some channels are unavailable to some people even with an antenna.

Lynch also said that Sling TV is seeing high engagement, since it's a service that people make their primary way to watch live TV. He reiterated past comments that subscribers to Dish World -- an international predecessor to Sling TV -- watched five hours a day on average. "Our expectation is it wouldn't be quite that high for Sling TV," he said. "It's not our vision that Sling TV will be everything that everyone will want." http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-m...t-wont-force-you-to-buy-them/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

meh.... unless it offers more than 3 day replay, hulu is a better value. especially with all the discount deals for hulu found ($25 a year etc).

meh.... unless it offers more than 3 day replay, hulu is a better value. especially with all the discount deals for hulu found ($25 a year etc).
IMO, it is not if they offer live sports off of those channels. That would be something I would look into.

Good question. Is it the local channels from your market or the Network itself.

For some reason I still get Sling TV even though I cancelled after about a week when it launched.
When I tune to Lifetime it says "due to rights restrictions this content cannot be viewed on Sling TV."
Same for A&E.
Already contract disputes?

They don't have the rights to certain programming. I've seen it on A&E, Lifetime and LMN. I'm suspecting networks will be from the networks not locals. They seem to have enough issues getting channels up and running, without adding locals for lots of different locations.

For some reason I still get Sling TV even though I cancelled after about a week when it launched.
When I tune to Lifetime it says "due to rights restrictions this content cannot be viewed on Sling TV."
Same for A&E.
Already contract disputes?
Some content is covered under previous contracts and is not able to be shown. I imagine that will be rectified over time, but for now, on certain channels it is an issue.

Some content is covered under previous contracts and is not able to be shown. I imagine that will be rectified over time, but for now, on certain channels it is an issue.
That is what confused me. So SlingTV has the transmission rights for A&E the channel but then there is another layer to it where the content is locked based on contracts? Has that ever been an issue with standard cable and sat transmission rights?

That is what confused me. So SlingTV has the transmission rights for A&E the channel but then there is another layer to it where the content is locked based on contracts? Has that ever been an issue with standard cable and sat transmission rights?
Online content rights are a different animal. Say for instance Netflix bid to become the exclusive online streaming source for a certain show five years ago, then by my understanding, if that show were to come on a streaming service channel that sling offers afterwards, it MAY be restricted until the previous contract expires.

Cable and sat would not be impacted by such a contract as they are not an online source.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitewolf8214
Online content rights are a different animal. Say for instance Netflix bid to become the exclusive online streaming source for a certain show five years ago, then by my understanding, if that show were to come on a streaming service channel that sling offers afterwards, it MAY be restricted until the previous contract expires.

Cable and sat would not be impacted by such a contract as they are not an online source.

I would have figured that the live stream would be treated more closely to cable/sat. I could see the above example of Netflix in regards to the VOD content. But maybe it is the fact that it is online and not the nature of the content (live vs VOD).

I have Dish and get my locals OTA, but still have to pay Dish for them. Offer them in separate packages, like Dish used to offer them separately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts