Sling TV President Takes Over Dish TV, Overseeing Both Businesses - September 21, 2023

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA

You would think it would be the other way around with DISH owning Sling that the person running DISH would take over Sling but not the other way around.

You would think it would be the other way around with DISH owning Sling that the person running DISH would take over Sling but not the other way around.

If you can’t beat them, join them.

I think this is a step in my long held belief that as the “satellite” business continues to become tougher, Dish will increasingly become a streaming service instead. Think of it as the (near) exact existing Dish lineup service delivered by streaming instead of by satellite. The whole “Dish On Demand” system was a step in that direction.

if you can’t beat cord-cutting, join the cord-cutting ecosystem. This would allow Dish to still compete with the cord-cutting trend, and it’s something that (I think) DirecTV can‘t currently compete against.

This is the only way I see Dish continuing to exist. Of course the streaming landscape is becoming more crowded as time goes on. But that will likely shake out over the next few years, and Dish is nothing if not a survivor.

I think this is a step in my long held belief that as the “satellite” business continues to become tougher, Dish will increasingly become a streaming service instead. Think of it as the (near) exact existing Dish lineup service delivered by streaming instead of by satellite. The whole “Dish On Demand” system was a step in that direction.

if you can’t beat cord-cutting, join the cord-cutting ecosystem. This would allow Dish to still compete with the cord-cutting trend, and it’s something that (I think) DirecTV can‘t currently compete against.

This is the only way I see Dish continuing to exist. Of course the streaming landscape is becoming more crowded as time goes on. But that will likely shake out over the next few years, and Dish is nothing if not a survivor.
As you might have noticed, streaming is getting more expensive. And that trend is only going to continue until any perceived savings from cord cutting has completely evaporated.

As you might have noticed, streaming is getting more expensive. And that trend is only going to continue until any perceived savings from cord cutting has completely evaporated.
I hope when streaming prices get too high, Charlie launches a satellite or two & developes a new supper Hopper 3!!

Reactions: navychop
Traditional Live TV would need a price freeze of, at least, 5 years before streaming caught up.

I thought the real cord cutters were not the ones who goes from cable tv/satellite tv to streaming but rather cable tv/satellite tv to OTA so basically going from pay tv to free tv as the entire reason cable tv and satellite tv existed was because people could not get free tv working due to poor reception, etc so when digital tv came, they can now get free OTA and ofcourse people started dropping their paid tv services and went free instead. Going from Cable TV/Satellite is still really paying, you are just paying a different company and unlike Cable TV/Satellite, it does not come with the dedicated transport pipe to bring the signal to you but instead you need a internet connection and when there are failures, it might be the internet connection and not the streaming provider assuming the streaming provider is working for everyone else elsewhere and locally.

I hope when streaming prices get too high, Charlie launches a satellite or two & developes a new supper Hopper 3!!
It will not be called Hopper as it will be called Lightspeed Inifnite and some number as Hopper is too slow for a name and it will contain many red lights that can be solid or blink 1 million times a millisecond among other things...

Reactions: charlesrshell

Another step towards a Dish/DirecTV merger? DirecTV Stream is the exact same as DirecTV satellite, just streamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another step towards a Dish/DirecTV merger?
If you have been reading the business sites and even here, neither company has the money for a merger.

All of Dish’s money is tied up in their 5G whatever it is and cannot get a loan.

DirecTV, wants to sell, not buy, profits are shrinking by a billion a year, at that rate, looking at unprofitable in 3-4 years.

Last edited:
If you have been reading the business sites and even here, neither company has the money for a merger.

All of Dish’s money is tied up in their 5G whatever it is and cannot get a loan.

DirecTV, wants to sell, not buy, profits are shirking by a billion a year, at that rate, looking at unprofitable in 3-4 years.
I guess the only other thing that can happen is both companies have bigger losses and then in deep financial trouble and then some company will pay pennies on the dollar to buy them out.