Sling vs Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dan in VA

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
I don't have the Sling yet but I was thinking of buying one and a WD TV Live. The WDTV has a Sling app to control an available tuner. From my understanding it would then act just like a Joey. Anything I'm missing? Seems like an easy way to save $7 a month for a TV I only use occasionally.

I'm on expert, but here are my comments.
1. Since you are streaming, the picture quality may be less.
2. You do not have access to advance features.
3. If you are watching live tv, you will be out of sync with the other tv.

If you are not trying to watch different channels at the same time, then I would suggest mirror the hopper and the Joey. This can with cables and , or rf modulator. I have this for 5 tv's.

I'm on expert, but here are my comments.
1. Since you are streaming, the picture quality may be less.
2. You do not have access to advance features.
3. If you are watching live tv, you will be out of sync with the other tv.

If you are not trying to watch different channels at the same time, then I would suggest mirror the hopper and the Joey. This can with cables and , or rf modulator. I have this for 5 tv's.

That's a good idea. Thanks, I forgot about using a modulator.

What I liked about the Sling is it would use an open tuner if available instead of just mirroring. Theoretically there shouldn't be lag with everything hard wired, but I know it doesn't usually work that well.

I use a Sling Box HD and my lag is only 2-3 seconds max. The picture quality is HQ and I think it works great. Granted, I mirror the Hopper video output but I have 2 Hoppers and that isn't a problem for me since I don't have that Hopper connected to the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)