Slingbox ceasing production

I have what may seam like a dumb Question. If you are watching TV logged in to dishanywhere are you using Sling. I always thought I was as I can watch anything on my DVR and even set it. If this is not Sling how do you use sling and what is the point of it

Dish owns Sling and integrated Sling technology into Hoppers, so in a way you are. It's built-in. People with stand-alone Sling boxes can "Sling" other media besides Dish content. Now, whether that content is going through the same servers as Dish's proprietary Sling built into Hoppers, I'll let somebody else answer to that.....

Reactions: osu1991
The story in the link that bluegras posted says "Dish Network’s Sling is prepping another streaming box named AirTV" and they expect that this will be a lot like the present Slingbox... so I would not buy the discontinued version out of a sense of urgency that they will no longer be available.

CuhIw_UVIAAsMYm.jpg

:D

While very OLD, I still use the Mac app to watch my Slingboxes. It only supports resolutions up to 640x480 but its enough for my uses. I use is with the PRO HD and older units. I never bought any of the real recent units.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
What I would be concerned with is them shutting down the directory service. In the old days you used to be able to manually specify the IP/DNS address and port to connect to. When they worked to remove that option i knew that the box COULD be killed and become a useless paperweight. That's when I quit upgrading to the newer boxes.

I am hopeful that before they decide to shut down any infrastructure, they update the boxes to allow the customer to retain some value from their purchase.

This is bad news for us. We have a small place on a lake in western Michigan and use the Sling Box app in a Roku to watch Chicago stations (especially sports) sent from our Hopper in Illinois. There are no extraneous commercials in the Roku app and no need to have any Dish or TV service in Michigan - just internet. Saves us a lot of money from not having to subscribe to Comcast for TV. It has been very reliable for us - far more so than Dish Anywhere and can be easily viewed on the TV itself rather than a laptop or phone. But I guess the landscape is changing..........

The story in the link that bluegras posted says "Dish Network’s Sling is prepping another streaming box named AirTV" and they expect that this will be a lot like the present Slingbox... so I would not buy the discontinued version out of a sense of urgency that they will no longer be available.

AIR TV is not a DISH product. It however is the first stand alone certified Sling TV player..

well with all the short comings for years with DA, maybe they can now focus on DA?...I will be nice and say that it being unreliable is an understatement.....On my main computer it hasten worked for a year and a half.....And a few other devices, be careful of any updates.......Lets hope they can focus, and fix so many pitfalls?

Been running a Sling Box for many years beginning with the original classic. The M1 has driven me nuts. I understand the need for commercials but having to watch a 30 or 45 second commercial when setting up or changing a setting was crazy. Or switching from wired to wireless. I am a DirecTV subscriber and Genie Go was an alternative but that is gone also. The Apps are ok but I liked to watch on my laptop when traveling. Streaming your local TV on a laptop is becoming almost impossible.

I have what may seam like a dumb Question. If you are watching TV logged in to dishanywhere are you using Sling. I always thought I was as I can watch anything on my DVR and even set it. If this is not Sling how do you use sling and what is the point of it
As Comfortably Numb stated. This means that the DA is using the very same propriatary encoding tech or tech used in a Slingbox to provide really good PQ in even slow internet connection situations. Every other competitor (and I don't know if they even still exist), including TiVo's Stream tech are absolutely AWFUL at less than best internet speeds with pixialtion and fuzzyness or stuttering in low bandwidth situations. The SlingMedia tech will be a part of the Dish experience for a long time as part of the technology offered by Dish's sister company Echostar. It is just that SlingMedia will no longer produce any more stand alone SlingBOXES to the general consumer for placeshifting without any need for a cable or sat subscription to work, A Slingbox can control cable/sat STB's and DVR's, other branded DVR's such as TiVo or Channel Master DVR+, Blu-ray/DVD players and recorders, VCR's, etc., but Dish will continue to use SlingMedia tech for a long time built-in to Dish DVR's or any other product they wish to have such functionality. Slingbox was a complety independant product of SlingMedia (owned by Echostar, not Dish) to sale to the general public for any type of place shifting needs. Some folks have a Slinbox providing content from one country to another for expats or military personal overseas along with other useful things slinging to a remote location can provide.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Been running a Sling Box for many years beginning with the original classic. The M1 has driven me nuts. I understand the need for commercials but having to watch a 30 or 45 second commercial when setting up or changing a setting was crazy. Or switching from wired to wireless. I am a DirecTV subscriber and Genie Go was an alternative but that is gone also. The Apps are ok but I liked to watch on my laptop when traveling. Streaming your local TV on a laptop is becoming almost impossible.
I agree and sympathize: I HATE (most) commercials, and I prefer the ad free experience in EVERY situation, but ads in our current times are an ugly, necessary evil, and that is the messy fact of life on the internet and all the "FREE" stuff from Google. It has been suggested that in order to keep some privacy and reduce ads, users should be able to select getting stuff from the internet either "FREE" but with ads and tracking galore, or opt to PAY for whatever it is we were seeking. The irony is that I suspect the vast majority of us would choose "FREE" but with ads and invasive tracking if not only because none of us (but the most wealthy) could affor to PAY for all the "FREE" stuff we downloand or access on the internet. I really wish someone with credentials would do a proper study and price out how much it would cost us if we had to PAY for all the FREE stuff just from Google alone that we use and depend upon. And Windows 10 is FREE (you can go around the pay wall for Win10 still today) for nefarious reasons: it is horribly invasive, but it sure beats paying the $400 such an OS used to cost. In some cases, such as Slingbox or even the Ring video doorbell, I would prefer to PAY a small fee each month or per year if it meant more privacy and less tracking or that it would continue to be supported indefinately, but I don't think I could affrod to pay fees for everything I use today. We have to pick are poison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)