Slingbox Users?

general487

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Winfield, AL
Hey Everyone,

I saw a while back a post about the slingbox, but I never really followed up on it to read about it. Today I checked it out and it looks like an amazing technology!

Are there any dish users on here that use the slingbox? I am curious how well it is working for you. I also had a few questions:

1. Will it work with the 625 DVR and 411 HD receiver box? (they weren't listed in the list of compatible devices)

2. How do you connect remotely to the slingbox (not through home network, but let's say from work)?

3. How in the world does the slingbox know what kind of receiver, cable box, etc. you have by just plugging it into the s-video, composite, or rf ports?

Thanks for the help. If I can figure all this out, it will be hard not to drop the money on a device that lets me take my tv with me. This makes much more sense to me than streaming from a pc to a tv!

it works with my 622.

slingbox has some software that you run on your pc that finds the slingbox, be careful though because some of the ports will be blocked and wont work.. i.e... corporate networks and stuff.

you tell it what kind of receiver you have.

The Slingbox works well with my 811 and 622, but TV2 presents a problem due to it being UHF. I've also test it with a Sony DVD Player and Panasonic DVD Recorder, but there is no remote control code for my Sony HD DVR...yet.

On your home network, you setup your Slingbox using the SlingPlayer software. You can configure: (you tell the Slingbox what devices are attached so it knows how to control them via the the Slingbox IR remote)

- Coaxial (analog antenna/cable, or you can output your TV2 via coax)
- Composite
- S-Video

You can login to your Slingbox remotely using the SlingPlayer software. You can access it by the IP address or, more typically, the SlingFinder ID service since most ISP provide dynamic, or changing, client IP address. In a nutshell, the Slingbox periodically broadcasts its location to the SlingFinder service so it's physically address is always known...no matter when the Slingbox resides. Instead of access the Slingbox by IP address, use the SlingFinder ID that is created at setup time.

By default the SlingPlayer client access the SlingPlayer using TCP port 5001. This is easy to setup on your home firewall, and it can be accessed via a broadband internet connection. Can you access this from work? Sure, but only if don't like your job and are looking to get fired. Most companies with a decent IT staff will block access to non-standard ports. You can always circumvent port and protocol protocol policy by configuring the Slingbox to use well known ports such as 21, 80, 445, etc., however you will quickly be caught by a good IT security staff.

I had a Slingbox shipping to my parents. If I can talk my Dad through the configuration, then you should have no problems. www.slingmedia.com and www.slingcommunity.com both have some very good information posted on their website.

The list on my slingbox does include the 625 and 411. I have 508's so I have not used with those units but I'm sure if it is listed it will work.

My opinion of it is - fantastic. Set-up was very easy. It works as advertised. The quality of the picture does depend on a decent internet connection. When using it on my own network (another words at home) over a wireless network it has an excellent picture. When in a hotel or other remote location it varies from good to fair, but certainly watchable. I also used it to set up a recording of a show that I did not realize was starting last week while away on vacation. I also have a security camera hooked in and can take a look from where ever I am.

I feel they are one step away from it being even better. If they can get the software to not need as much bandwidth for a great picture it will be perfact, but even as it is, I can definately say to buy it.

Im most cases the automatic settings work fine. I have played with the manual settings and sometimes can get a slightly better setting doing it manually, but really auto works great.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)