Slingplayer 2.0 is out for WinMo

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Head on over to mobile.slingmedia.com on your phone and download it.

I'm installing it now so I can't comment on it yet. Nice to see it shows Touch Pro2 in their phone listings now.

Ugghhh... another way for them to push the newer slingbox's on you. Slingbox classic works fine but will not go full screen. Other slingbox's will go full screen. They did this garbage on purpose. Going back to my old 1.6 version.

They removed a TON of settings and features. Really dumbed this thing down. Newer is not better. ;)

Ugghhh... another way for them to push the newer slingbox's on you. Slingbox classic works fine but will not go full screen. Other slingbox's will go full screen. They did this garbage on purpose. Going back to my old 1.6 version.

They removed a TON of settings and features. Really dumbed this thing down. Newer is not better. ;)
Just like when I updated to a newer software version for my Classic, which no longer had my Sony HD DVRs remote control. Tech Support told me it wasn't a supported device and that I would have to order a Slingbox Pro-HD to continue watching the SD output that I had been watching for the past 2-years. I reinstalled the old software version and told their tech support to kiss-my-arse. In fact, tech support said they were doing me a favor and that I should pay them $25 to be told to upgrade to a new "supported" unit. I would probably get a Hava if I used my Slingbox mobile more than once in blue moon based solely on this experience.

I used to love Sling. But they seem to have changed for some reason.

My Slingbox Pro got bricked a couple of months ago when Sling pushed down a firmware update to it. I called and after paying their required $30 call charge, they said that since I didn't have a model currently in production, they couldn't really help me. Even though it was their firmware update that killed it. So it sounds like once a Sling model is discontinued, so is any support or warranty.

I used to love Sling. But they seem to have changed for some reason.

My Slingbox Pro got bricked a couple of months ago when Sling pushed down a firmware update to it. I called and after paying their required $30 call charge, they said that since I didn't have a model currently in production, they couldn't really help me. Even though it was their firmware update that killed it. So it sounds like once a Sling model is discontinued, so is any support or warranty.

So to avoid your experience should one buy the current Sligbox model(s) or wait until they release the new hardware they showed at CES?

I have the first sling box made so what I am learning from this thread is I need to refrain from any more firmware upgrades and player upgrades. I have no problem with that as everything works fine now except for those annoying " upgrade now" splash screens.

Love satelliteguys for the warning!

I have the first sling box made so what I am learning from this thread is I need to refrain from any more firmware upgrades and player upgrades. I have no problem with that as everything works fine now except for those annoying " upgrade now" splash screens.

Yep. I have no idea if there has been a firmware update for my Solo. Works fine as is. I have enough bricks on my house.;)

I toyed around with the app a bit more last night... it looks like the selections are bit backwards. I was able to get some 4:3 content to go full screen finally. The interface is confusing. I preferred the old one big time! The only thing that is better in this one is they have done a better job on the video. Not one stutter, break up or anything on a 15-20 minute ride across town. The audio was perfectly in sync.

The one thing that annoys me is they don't have all the video modes like they do in the PC player. I can watching 16:9 video easily(not HD res of course on my classic) on the PC player. If you want to watch 16:9 your forced to have black bars on all 4 sides. They could have easily provided the additional video sizes.

A couple of other annoying things... it doesn't remember you had the slingbox on mute like the old one did. They tried to make it all pretty and slick with the menus but now it takes more time to hunt down the options. There's no Kbps rate or FPS rate anymore. No portrait mode.

So I'm torn on which one I'm going to use now. I might have them both installed if I can hack my way around the installer.

thanks guys for the heads up on the upgrade
I'm going to stay right where I am
slingbox on the dishnet and My hava on my azbox

they both look great, on my HTC Ozone

Completely agree on how Sling support has taken a severe drop in customer satisfaction. Forcing you to login and have a sling account on the iphone instead of just letting me plug in my IP address created a headache for a while. Of course, Sling required money up front before they'd even talk to me. When my Sling dies, I will certainly shop for other options.

After 2yrs my Sling died. I went to go use it to do some OTA tweaking for the game. It wouldn't connect so I rebooted it. The LAN light would never come on, swapped cables on the switch, nothing. I tried to reset it and I started to smell something.

Looking at my options and I'm going with the Hava this time.