SlingPlayer Plugin for Firefox 5

Firefox 4 was only officially released 2 or 3 months ago and Firefox 5 hasn't even "officially" been released as beta yet.

I am sure it will get there but it will take some time.

Yea and Sling/Dish is on the slow not even ready after months on any browser release schedule !!!!!!!

Just another reason they need to make it 100% compatible with Slingplayer desktop and supported apps. Oh, yeah, and make them free!

Ok.. lets re-cap ... DishOnline.com ... big push to get people there.. DishRemoteAccess annoys you with a pop-over saying its going away and wanting to TAKE YOU to dishonline ... yet TWO FULL MONTHS later Dish Online still didn't have the updated plugin, to allow for the premium channels (that's the stuff you pay extra for) ... like for HBO, Cinemax, and Starz ...

yet we could go to the "GO" sites (HBO/Cinemax) and they didn't require the same plugin that DishOnline did..

and you expect with a history like that.. DishOnline would be ready on day one of FF5's release? I'm bitchy but even *I* would give them a couple of days to get with the FF5 release.. LOL :)

webslingplayer working, what is slinghealth?

:) good old dish.. they have a plugin, probably not tested thoroughly ... but it does work for me..

URL: http://plugin.slingbox.com/downloads/pc/1.5.2.125/webslingplayer.xpi

And why they don't put it out as beta.. for people to test.. I have no clue.. other than.. its probably controlled by DishOnline people... and they're just soooo on the ball.

This worked with Firefox 5 for me as well. I notice that there is a second plugin called slinghealth that was disabled when I installed Firefox 5. What is the function of slinghealth?

I think that SlingHealth is a diagnostic test program that tests your sling connectivity and computer system compatibility. It installs it for the IE8 version as well.

I have been having trouble with the sling adapter and Dish Technical support suggested that I try Firefox. I downloaded Firefox 5 only to find out that Dish did not have software for it. Thanks a lot for posting that link. I am going to try it now.

Edit: I tried it and the plugin works great on my home computer with Firefox 5. Thanks again for the link.

Last edited:
Thank you for the updated plugin link... unfortunately it's not working for the Mac version of Firefox 5. Does anyone have a link to a version that'll work on Mac? If not, I'll have to downgrade back to Firefox 4.x (and obviously, turn off auto-updating from now on,) and that's a pain.

Thanks in advance!

Now that rapid releases are popular with browsers -- or at least with Chrome, and now with Firefox following suit -- extension developers are going to need to stop putting in restrictive version checking. I don't believe Chrome extensions do this, and while I know there were major changes between Firefox 1, 2, and 3.x, now that there will be a new version every couple months it would make more sense to just check to make sure it's "Firefox 4 or newer" -- otherwise a lot of plugins are going to be breaking frequently. Not just Sling.

Thank you for the updated plugin link... unfortunately it's not working for the Mac version of Firefox 5. Does anyone have a link to a version that'll work on Mac? If not, I'll have to downgrade back to Firefox 4.x (and obviously, turn off auto-updating from now on,) and that's a pain.

Thanks in advance!
Here's a link for the MAC plugin ...
http://plugin.slingbox.com/downloads/dmg/3.3.6.173/SlingPlayer_Plugin_3.3.6.173.dmg

That's the most recent as of Sunday ... how often they will update it, is unknown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)