SlingTV bypasses licensing to receive local OTA via "AirTV" set-top box! tip

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Bypassing content licensing, Sling TV will soon cram customer’s local television channels directly into the company’s pay TV service via a small set-top box and antenna.

Last summer, I came across a curious Echostar trademark application for “AirTV” which was later discovered to be a pedestrian new Slingbox out of Echo’s Sling Media subsidiary. However, given a well-timed tip, from a trusted source alerting me to incoming Sling Media hardware, that coincides with a lifting of the FCC’s short-term confidentiality, an audacious game plan has now been revealed.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2016-04/airtv-slingtv/

What's the point of this? You can just buy a cheap $20 antenna to receive OTA channels.

I was wondering that myself, maybe you can hook up a external HD to it and use it as a DVR or to your network and record on a PC...

Some newer TVs are now being sold without a tuner like the Vizio P series, that could be why also.

If it actually streams your locals to any device that currently supports Sling TV I could see the use, especially for people who want to watch locals away from home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)