Slow ROKU 1

Mr_Flintstone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
KY
I have a Roku 1 connected through WiFi that, up until January, worked perfectly. It was fast and responsive. Ever since about mid January, it has begun to lag when changing screens, and takes forever to load information when browsing different programs (worst is Amazon and Fandango). Worse yet, the video streams seem to buffer more often than they used to, even at SD resolution. Last year I had 6.0 Meg cable internet connection and all was well, even at HD. Now I have 15 Meg cable, and everything lags. I have done speed tests, and sustained upload/download tests. The speed graph rarely dips below 10 Meg, and usually stays right at about 13 Meg.

Any suggestions as to what to try?

My legacy Roku finally gave up the ghost a few months ago, but well before that I hardly used it because newer apps didn't work on it, and only companies as big as Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu continued to support it. When it did buffer badly, often unplugging (rebooting it) helped.

If you're trying to hold on to the Roku 1 because you need the composite output, one of the new Roku stick models has composite and costs <$40.
Roku

Like most things that have upgradeable firmware, Rokus slow with age. Roku 1 doesn't much hint at how old the device is so it is not possible to say whether it is end-of-life yet, but that time is approaching.

Software updates are automatic so you really can't avoid them.

You might check your Wi-fi to see if there isn't something slow there. The Roku 1 models were all Wi-fi only and that would be the weak link between the Roku and your Internet connection.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts