Slow upgrade path on a budget

slow2go

Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
NE
Gentlemen,
I need some advice on the direction to take on my HD upgrade path. I have gone over this a couple of times, but do not see many options in how to proceed. As with most people I know, funding is a little short and is driving most of my decisions in this process.
Present configuration:

10 year old Dish500 with two dual output LNBFs (110 & 119)--> SW21 -> 4700 receiver
--> SW21 -> 2700 receiver (failing)
The 2700 receiver is beginning to fail, so I need to do something soon.

I plan on immediately replacing the 2700 with a Vip211K. ($70 from a friend)

Issues:
1.) Cannot see either the 77 or the 129 sats due to obstructions.
2.) In order to see the 77 and install the 1000.4, will need to take down some big trees.
3.) Adding a dish for the 129 is not practical due to obstructions.
4.) I never wish to deal with an installer for as long as I live, so please do not recommend that option.

Planned goal - Phase in of Full HD
1.) Replace 2700 and install Vip211K.
2.) Next opportunity, call Dish and pay the $99 for HD for life. (already have AT200)
(I know there is not much on the 110 & 119 for HD)
(Do not care about locals- receive over the air)
3.) Replace 4700 at some point with HD receiver.
4.) Take down trees blocking view of eastern arc.
5.) Either:
a.) Add Dish for 61.5, change LNBFs to DPs on older dish and add DPP33 switch, or b.) Change dish out for 1000.4 and add either a DPP33 or DPP44 switch.

Will this get me to full HD and which is better, option 5a or 5b?

Thank you! Jim

You don't need an external switch with a 1000.4 since a DPP43 switch is built-in.

Can you see 61.5 and 72.7 without cutting down trees? If so, your cheapest option is to slap a DPP twin on your 500 and orient it to 61.5 and 72.7 and forget about 77 for the time being. This is a poor match to the satellite locations, but it mostly works. For very little money (Ebay DPP twin is less than $25 shipped), you can go Eastern Arc. This would also make your 4700 obsolete, since EA is all MPEG-4.

You also need to get HD for life for free (somehow). I did, but I was moved over because I had AT250 + (HD + platinum). Thanks Satelliteguys!

Just replace your receiver as planed.

When you replace the other receiver, switch to a 1000.4

Dish receivers will work if the cors satellite is there. So if you are missing 77 you just wont get those channels on that satellite.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I missed the fact the 1000.4 had the switch built into it. You guys are great!

Jim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)