Smart Channel Auto Tuning

CulpeperUplink

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Culpeper,VA
How long does it take for the Dish smart channel tuning to reset and recognize a change in view habits? Is their a way to reset just this one function? I recently consolidated a couple of Joeys and I now have my 15 year old Joey in my bedroom and apparently he watched Cartoon Network 24x7. For the last two weeks I have been changing the channel to my local am news each morning and it still has not automatically started to wake up to my news channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does it take for the Dish smart channel tuning to reset and recognize a change in view habits? Is their a way to reset just this one function? I recently consolidated a couple of Joeys and I now have my 15 year old Joey in my bedroom and apparently he watched Cartoon Network 24x7. For the last two weeks I have been changing the channel to my local am news each morning and it still has not automatically started to wake up to my news channel.
Personally, I would not wait for the Smart Tune feature to update. I would turn that feature off, and just set a manual Auto Tune timer instead.

Reactions: JSheridan
Or you could change the setting in Settings / Power from 'Tune to Smart Channel' to 'Tune to Last Channel' and then just leave the Joey on whatever channel you want when you turn it off.

Or you could change the setting in Settings / Power from 'Tune to Smart Channel' to 'Tune to Last Channel' and then just leave the Joey on whatever channel you want when you turn it off.
I do that on every Hopper and Wally I install. I hate that smart channel nonsense and the Home Screen is the worst

The "Smart Channel" is one of my favorite options.

In the evening it turns to a channel I usually watch, TBS, in the Morning it tunes to ESPN, afternoon to a business channel (Don't wanna divulge, because of the political crap associated with one vs the other!!!). I have ARC...I hit the power button while the slow process of AVR, TV & Hopper3 fires up it's always nice to be on a channel I want to watch at the time I turn on the system not what Channel I was watching last time TV was on. I use the slow startup time to visit the Head or make Coffee etc.

OP, I hope yer Smart Channel gets its Brain working again for ya.

In the evening it turns to a channel I usually watch, TBS, in the Morning it tunes to ESPN, afternoon to a business channel (Don't wanna divulge, because of the political crap associated with one vs the other!!!). I have ARC...I hit the power button while the slow process of AVR, TV & Hopper3 fires up it's always nice to be on a channel I want to watch at the time I turn on the system not what Channel I was watching last time TV was on. I use the slow startup time to visit the Head or make Coffee etc.

Yes, that works well as long as only one person ever uses the receiver, and you like to consistently watch the same channels each day. In any other situation, the Smart Channel is not so Smart. :D

Reactions: HipKat
I'm just thrilled that I don't have to get up out of my recliner to change the channel and then spray tuner cleaner on the dial once a month. Some problems just don't reach me.

This reminded me of a funny story, I'll make it very short.

I gave one of my Grandkids an S-10 P/U (2003 with 48,000 miles) He complained it didn't have power windows!

I don't think anyone has an issue with that business channel. I don't even think, other than the name, they have much to do with each other

Reactions: pattykay and LQQK
The Joey in our bedroom "smart" tunes to TV Land every night when we turn it on. We never watch that channel....
...but you do watch that channel, every time you turn the Joey on. :biggrin By leaving the Smart Channel feature turned on, you are just reinforcing what it thinks you want to watch.

Reactions: ChadT41
I get what you're saying but a) we don't physically turn to that channel (so that should weigh heavily in the "smart" system deciding which channels to consider) and b) we DO watch other channels often and for longer. I mean, we turn on the Joey, press "Guide" and switch channels. Being on TV Land for 15-30 seconds "wins" ? If so, it's broken...

Reactions: pattykay
I get what you're saying but a) we don't physically turn to that channel (so that should weigh heavily in the "smart" system deciding which channels to consider) and b) we DO watch other channels often and for longer. I mean, we turn on the Joey, press "Guide" and switch channels. Being on TV Land for 15-30 seconds "wins" ? If so, it's broken...
Which is why I disable it. It's not always accurate. Mine used to go to HBO Family. Not a channel I'd ever watch..... unless Karate Kid was on, then..... maybe

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts