Smart HDTV's??

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Ok the holidays are close by and I plan on upgrading my Sony DLP TV at some point so I been looking at the Smart HDTV's. I always like Sony due to I know their PQ is always going to be great. Looking at the Sony Smart HDTV's they just seem not to have some of the features that others do. So I might be looking at going to a different manufacture this time around so here are 2 that I Might consider.

First one is a Samsung 55" LED 8000 Series Model UN55F8000BF it looks like it has a lot of features and a really good Smart TV. From what I read some had some PQ with Samsung TV's but for the most part they are good others have said that the color depth is not as good as others.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F8000BFXZA

2nd one is a LG model 55" 55LA8000 which it seems to have a lot of features as well and the interface seems kind of cool as well. Only thing with them as some have said as well that the PQ is not as good as other manufactures out there. Overall from what I have seen it looks like a good TV.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LA8600-led-tv

Either way never owed a LG or Samsung TV so really don't have a history with them but just want everyone thoughts on what Smart HDTV's they have used and seem to like. In the end might just stay with a Sony.. :)

Personally, I would discount the smart features on the TV. They are always limited compared to what you can get with add on boxes, and often add more to the price than the add on box. A Roku is well under $100 and a lot more flexible than any TV smart app.

Concentrate on the important stuff, like picture quality. Look at sound quality if you aren't using a home theater audio system. When looking at picture quality, be sure to get ahold of the remote and turn off the vivid mode they default to. Vivid makes them stand out at BB, but is not a realistic picture.

Look at plasma vs LED. I see a clear difference, and much prefer the panasonic plasmas, but the LEDs are much more popular for some reason.

I just purchased a 40 inch Samsung Smart TV and I love it. The Smart Features are the best I have seen on a TV, I have Netflix, Amazon Video, Plex, TuneIn and other apps.

The PQ is not as good my Pansonic Plasma but its good. :D

Have a Sony Smart 3D HX750 tv. LOVE the picture quality but the apps are very limited and slow. I really wanted a smart tv and did my research... if I could go back, i'd forgo the "smart", save 200$ and get a Roku..

Cheers, K

Have a Sony Smart 3D HX750 tv. LOVE the picture quality but the apps are very limited and slow. I really wanted a smart tv and did my research... if I could go back, i'd forgo the "smart", save 200$ and get a Roku.. Cheers, K

+1

MY dad's old Sony RPLCD had the light engine/optical block go out last Xmas, so they went with a 60in LG plasma and it looks really good after I spent some time setting it up. They love it. I had to replace 2 of my tv's due to a lightning strike about 3-4 months ago. I went with the 60in LG LED 60LN5710 and it has all the latest LG smart features, that I don't use since I have WDTV boxes, but the picture is really good. Football and movies look awesome on it. It looks as good as the 50in plasma I have in the bedroom. We also bought a 46in LG LED smart tv for the townhouse in Las Vegas a few months ago, but I have a wdtv out there and we probably won't ever use the tv's built in smart features. I'm not into the hardcore videophile top of the line stuff anymore, most of the middle of the line stuff suits my viewing needs perfectly.

I have a lot of windows in my living room, so I couldn't use a plasma in it, the glare was just too much. So consider where you are putting the tv. Plasma and LED can both have great pictures just consider the environment you're using it in.

What he said. I love our Panny plasma, but we do need to control the light in the room or we get definite glare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)