Snow on dish on roof

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Heaters are arguably the best and most durable solution but they cannot solve the snow fade issue. They aren't cheap, but they work very well if properly installed.

If you're thinking that cooking spray is your best choice, make sure you don't get any on any part of the LNB assembly.

I have a Hot Shot dish heater that I put on the back of my Slimline dish -- it is fantastic. When I had Dish network I primarily used a ladder and a broom; when I switched to Directv I installed the mast and dish myself so I could put the heater on it and get everything ready to go for when the tech showed up to aim it.

After using it for almost 3 years now, I can say that the dish heater is by far the best option if you can make it work for you.

I have often thought about getting one too, however I think I was unsure about the ones with the thermostat in them, they go on at like anything under 30*, from what I remember ... I don't want it turning on when theres NO SNOW, that would be useless, in my opinion.

Heaters are arguably the best and most durable solution but they cannot solve the snow fade issue. They aren't cheap, but they work very well if properly installed.

If you're thinking that cooking spray is your best choice, make sure you don't get any on any part of the LNB assembly.

Snow fade? You mean is snowing so hard it interrupts the signal? I've had Directv for over 10 years. I don't think it's ever happened to me.

exactly. I see our resident troll (harshy) is talking out of his ass again

The only time I lose signal during a snowstorm is when there is snow on the dish. We have dish heaters on both dishes here at the apartment complex (slimline 5 and a 95W dish) and this past Sunday we had heavy wet snow. Didnt lose signal as the dish heater did its job.

3 weeks ago we lost signal completely because some moron unplugged it so we had about 4 or 5 inches of heavy wet snow on the dishes. Rain/snow/sleet mix doesnt cause "snow fade" as he claims...because there is no such thing..its the snow on the dish that kills the signal.

I thought one model had a sensor so it didnt kick on unless it was at a specific degree (then shuts off when the dish heats up)

I thought one model had a sensor so it didnt kick on unless it was at a specific degree (then shuts off when the dish heats up)
The Hot Shot has the sensor too -- but you don't really need to keep the dish warm on days when it's not going to snow, so might as well shut off the transformer and save some energy expense.

Thats the one I saw online, it kicks on at 39* .... sounds like a waste of electricity to me.
I would rather it have an On/Off switch that I can turn on when I feel its necessary, just because it's cold doesn't mean the dish needs to be heater.

Thats the one I saw online, it kicks on at 39* .... sounds like a waste of electricity to me.
I would rather it have an On/Off switch that I can turn on when I feel its necessary, just because it's cold doesn't mean the dish needs to be heater.

It's easy enough to wire a switched outlet for the heater.

I have seen people use magnetic engine block heaters, don't know how well they would work and how much power they consume though....

No idea if this is true or not, so take it w a grain of salt, but when i was a tech the higher ups (who we all know, are knowers of everything) always told us never to use or recommend pam as it can change the "reflective properties" of the dish..

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)