Snow On Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tommytanker

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
central IL
Blizzard conditions expected and heard something about spraying Pam on dish but all say do it beginning of winter, just curious does anybody know if this works as it would cause less trips to roof for 74 yr old.:(

Not sure about pam, but a super soaker with hot water will do the trick.

unless its real heavy wet snow I'd not worry. Here in MN we have had a bunch of snow and 2 blizzards. Only lost signal once and that was due to the snowstorm clouds were very heavy wet so it got blocked like it does in the summer

Well I gave my installer a call, he says he would not because of the dust and dirt build up come warmer weather he said weapon of choice would be rainX.

tommytanker said:
Blizzard conditions expected and heard something about spraying Pam on dish but all say do it beginning of winter, just curious does anybody know if this works as it would cause less trips to roof for 74 yr old.:(

Rain X ice for windshields

Well I gave my installer a call, he says he would not because of the dust and dirt build up come warmer weather he said weapon of choice would be rainX.

You can clean it in the spring, not a big deal.

Not going to give a yay or nay on the pam but if you do use it, make sure to just do it on the dish and not get any on the LNB.

Pam or other home made remedies for keeping the snow on the dish are okay, however it may overtime erode the dish itself. As the previous poster stated, definitely be sure not to spray anything on the LNB itself.

I have a 90 cm dish pointed at 101, I have SD only. The blizzard is wrapping up here in Chicago now. I have not lost my Direct signal at all. In fact the readings were at the most only 1 number lower than normal. I used a special car wax on my dish that causes the water to sheath off. Winds have kept my dish clean with gusts to 70 mph.

Powdery snow should not be an issue as much as wet snow. The heavy moisture content causes attenuation. I loose Direct in the summer to rain fade when the big clusters roll through. All my satellite dishes from the 12 foot bud to my 21 incher on Shaw (Canada) have faired this blizzard very well, no outages.

unless its real heavy wet snow I'd not worry. Here in MN we have had a bunch of snow and 2 blizzards. Only lost signal once and that was due to the snowstorm clouds were very heavy wet so it got blocked like it does in the summer

Well we got through our blizzard 24 hrs of snow and winds etc and did not have any problems at all. I decided to take installers advice and leave it alone, all was good. Thank all for replies.

Were also past our Snow Event, roughly 10" when all said and done, amount was cut down when the freezing rain showed up.

Thru it all, I never lost signal at all. :) :D :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)