Direct tv @ GITMO with HD box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pdogg7

Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
south
I am trying to hook up my new HD dvr box from the states and so far I can't get it to work. I really don't care about the HD part and would be happy with just a regular signal. I currently have a 6ft dish that I have had tested by someone locally. My question is will this thing work in non HD mode? Or is it HD or nothing? If so what would my settings be because there is no 6ft dish in the settings. I really don't want to buy another dish so If I can't get it to work soon then I am going to sale my dish . They're are probally 50 pepole using directv on base with no problems, mostly with older boxes that they own. And yes directv knows were I am located.
Thanks

I am trying to hook up my new HD dvr box from the states and so far I can't get it to work. I really don't care about the HD part and would be happy with just a regular signal. I currently have a 6ft dish that I have had tested by someone locally. My question is will this thing work in non HD mode? Or is it HD or nothing? If so what would my settings be because there is no 6ft dish in the settings. I really don't want to buy another dish so If I can't get it to work soon then I am going to sale my dish . They're are probally 50 pepole using directv on base with no problems, mostly with older boxes that they own. And yes directv knows were I am located.
Thanks

So ..... what kind of dish are the others using ?
It has to be a dish made for D*'s signal, otherwise polarization and a bunch of other things come into play.
Is it a ka/ku LNB ?

Thanks

Only thing I will say about the location is it Gitmo and it is by law considered one large chunk of US land sitting in cuba. Which as far I am concern is 100 percent legal unlike the Canadians.

The dish was used by someone with a dish network box. I am going to try and get one of my co workers box and see If it works.
In regards to it being here in GITMO , you still have to have a stateside address to activate your account. They are getting paid either way.
Thanks for your replies.

Getting paid either way means nothing when it comes to legal.

However, Gitmo is American soil..period.
You are well aware, they will never send a tech out there, but you are ok with that.

If the Dish is sent to E*, then it sounds as if you are SOL as it is a different Satellite.

However, try this

First check your signal for the 101.
If you get nothing then sorry but you are no good (Unless the receiver is set to SWM)

If you do get signal on the 101 then do this

Go to your menu
Parental favs & set up
Display
Preferences

then where it says "Hide SD duplicates" change to either "Hide HD duplicates" or "show all channels" (first choice is better if but may not be available depending on receiver model).

Also, then under the system set up menue, you can go to "Satellite" then "Repeat Satellite Setup" and change it to 18" dish.

BTW, you won't get locals unless maybe you switch to Miami and then maybe you will get their locals.

Just like the other 3 or 4 threads regarding DirecTV USA services in the Caribbean and elsewhere outside CONUS; it can be a crap shoot because no one is telling you what EXACTLY what they are and ARE NOT receiving (the ARE not being the most important to me). Not all SAT's have beam coverages that far south. So you 'can' get some, but I doubt you will get near all of the DirecTV USA signals, and likely not much of the most desired HD.

Thanks

Bro was up am in HAV it can work i am using it fine.. you just need to change the Setting to mulltiy switch not SWM also change dish to Single 18" round .. and make sure you are using DTV Aspen 32+ LNB, thats what i have am getting all SD stuff and i use the 4ft For 103W... it wont be any truble to get the 101W your tilt should be around 61. i have the Chnl Master 4Ft.. am not in Hav now but will be back in a week let me know how it goes.. i am their two weeks amonth... but seeing as you are so for south the 6ft would have to do as my other home is a stone thruo from Gitmo and i have to use the 6ft their..

Last edited:
The dish was used by someone with a dish network box. I am going to try and get one of my co workers box and see If it works.
In regards to it being here in GITMO , you still have to have a stateside address to activate your account. They are getting paid either way.
Thanks for your replies.

In addition to the above advice>
What kind of LNB does the dish have? if you know?
Was the dish re-pointed to 101, main DirecTV Satellite for SD, was it tested with a DirecTV receiver? or a Dishnet receiver?

I don't see why it has to be a 6' dish? I've never heard of signal strength being a problem down there...

If all else fails, PM me and I will send you an 18" dish as I have several laying around.
May even pack a couple in the box as they break down pretty small.

I might charge shipping costs (depending on how much it is) but the dish(s) will be free.

All I ask is you walk up and slap a terrorist for me. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)