Snow problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
First snowstorm is knocking out my signal. Snow is only accululating at base of my eliptical dish, right where my LNBs point. What can I do to stop build-up? 6 times in 3 hours I've had to sweep away snow, and it's a very light snow.

when my installation was completed i asked my installer about this possible problem also.he said that a generous spraying of 'wd-40' on the dish and eye( as he called it) would go a long way toward preventing snow sticking. it has not snowed this season yet in va. so i do not know if this will work or not.the product is known to displace water so it may be worth a shot..

squicken said:
First snowstorm is knocking out my signal. Snow is only accululating at base of my eliptical dish, right where my LNBs point. What can I do to stop build-up? 6 times in 3 hours I've had to sweep away snow, and it's a very light snow.

Put some cooking pam spray on the dish itself and it will keep the snow from building up on it

Thanks for your help guys. I thought about cooking spray, but was afraid the grease might mess up the signal. I'll give it a try next time.

Wd-40 would be your best bet, the PAM cooking spray will get sticky over time and get really nasty. Hope this helps.

MMmmmmm Grease! Also the bugs will love it come spring time, I used to use the black bin bag method to help with snow, simply put a large black bin bag over the whole dish and tie it loosely in a knot round the back of the dish, the signal is not affected, as the bag flaps about in the wind the snow cant land on it, and being black any ice or snow on it soon melts if/when the sun comes out. You cant beat having the dish at ground level in snowy states, one brush and you are back in business, the roof is the LAST place for a satellite dish. I don't have any snow problems any more with the motorized dish I simply point it into to the sun and it all melts off, if its real bad I can motor my dish way over to the east or west giving it a lower profile and keeping it out of the worst of the wind, two years now with out budging, I go and check it every few moths to see if it needs re-tweaking but it never has! Snow! Bring it on!

Just been informed you guys call black bin bags........ Black Garbage Bags, like a "Hefty" bag, sorry for any confusion caused : )

Today we had a 2 ft. Sierra snow storm. I started out with the dish cover and had to brush the snow off the cover 3 times. I took the cover off and tried the "bin" or garbage bag. Due to the direction of the wind, the snow would build up on garbage bag and I had to brush the snow off 2 times. I then took the garbage bag off. I had previously coated the dish with silicone spray. I still had to brush the snow off once. I will try a larger trash bag next storm.

hey guys you must do charlies installs!!!!

use rainex on the dish only ,, use NOTHING OIL BASED

RAINEX OR SILICONE SPRAY , oil based prodocts accumulate dirt and dust

pam and wesson are oil based

......bob

DO NOT use Pam cooking spray!

DTV used to tell people it was okay to use it... after replacing multiple satellites we decided it wasn't a good idea.

It works great at keeping the snow off... but when the sun comes out to play, it also bakes your LNBs and leaves a nasty coating on the dish itself.

Rainx would be good to use. You can also gently sweep the dish off with a broom, or if you cant reach the dish, you can spray it quickly with a water hose to remove snow that has already accumulated. Just dont spray the lnbs directly or for a long period of time otherwise you'll end up with icicles. =)

They do have covers you can put on your dish as well that keeps the snow off and in some cases actually strengthens your signal.

If this is a real pain to you they offer a heated dish called a hotshot or a retrofit kit for the dish you now have .
Both are available thru perfect 10 for under 100 bucks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)