So are we going to see a huge surge in uplink activity on Jun 3rd?

Why hasn't anyone thought of putting english subs. Or like they do for english stations, they put spanish on SAP or something like that? I've never messed with it, only heard of it.

Back in the 70s before MTS for TV, some of the local channels (WAPA and WKAQ specifically) in PR would put the English soundtrack of dubbed programs on their FM stations. It's not a new idea, but I think that the market just wasn't there. I am not sure if locals use SAP for English on dubbed programs any more. I am sorry to say I haven't been to PR in 3 years and the last several times I was there, TV was not a priority. :)

But providing English soundtrack for a Spanish program is not as easy as it sounds. It's expensive and the market is limited. Things like "Lucha Libre" and Fútbol are much easier to do. It requires a separate announce team, audio people and producers, but is much cheaper than translating scripted shows that use lots of word-play (things don't translate directly).

See ya
Tony

You know, as an regular american white dude, I'd love to watch those spanish stations and I do sometimes for futbol, but I can't understand anything.

Why hasn't anyone thought of putting english subs. Or like they do for english stations, they put spanish on SAP or something like that? I've never messed with it, only heard of it.

But seriously, would this not be a cool idea? I know I'd like it as I've tried to watch and understand with the few spanish words I know, and they just speak WAY too fast for me.

Dish has a channel that does exactly that, called "MUN2".

It is Latino programming with entirely English language audio.

It is designed for 12-30 year olds living in Hispanic households, who grew up speaking English.

In certain respects, it is like MTV for latino kids, there are a lot of music videos, in fact, Friday and Saturday night they have a 3-4 hour block of music videos called Party Mix that includes all the dance-oriented Top 40 hits (e.g. Lady Gaga, Blackeyed Peas, etc) and all the dance-oriented hits from all of Latin America.

Anyway, there is also some sports programming in English, such as Mexican League soccer and WWE Raw - but I don't currently see Lucha Libre in the schedule...

Also, Telemundo has English subtitles for their Nighttime Soaps:

Telemundo is the only US Spanish-language network to provide English subtitles of its weekday prime-time programming. They appear as closed captions on CC3 in standard definition and digital service 2 in HDTV. The network produces the translations in-house and intends them to attract Hispanic viewers who may not be fluent in Spanish.[17] Programs appear with a special digital on-screen graphic at the start of each episode (see right).
Currently Telemundo includes English subtitles in the network feed of all three of prime-time telenovelas. Programs which had English captions during their original broadcast will also have them in repeats. Some programs (notably the long-running anthology, Decisiones), have translations in some episodes but not others, depending on when they were produced. Availability of English subtitles is limited to the technical capacity of the local station, cable or satellite provider, or other outlet to pass them on.
The captions premiered with La Cenicienta and Amor Descarado on September 8, 2003.[17] This generated a small, loyal fan base among English-speaking viewers.[18] Subtitles briefly disappeared without notice starting October 14, 2008, amid budget cuts at Telemundo. The network cited the need to concentrate resources on its core Spanish-speaking audience, but soon reversed the cancellation due to popular demand.[18] They began reappearing on March 30, 2009.

Most hispanic primetime programming consists of soaps... hispanic soaps are called "telenovelas" because they are mini-series with a pre-defined ending.

Last edited:

A year or two ago, the local Telemundo affiliate here is Los Angeles was advertising that they were putting closed captioning in English on CC3 but it never seemed materialize. I've yet to find a program that has it.

So, these means we will see Dish offering HD Distant Networks soon?

Last edited:
So, is this going to bring more HD channels like BBC America to 61.5? Or do I have to get my dish re-aimed for that?
Do not expect any existing national HD to move to 61.5W. I wouldn't expect anything CONUS to be added to 61.5W until late summer (assuming all goes well with E15).

If you're in an EA market, you need to contemplate converting.

So, these means we will see Dish offering HD Distant Networks soon?

Dish will be offering all 210 local markets on June 3rd.

FCC rules prohibit a customer from being offered Distant Networks instead of (or in addition to) their local market Networks.

By simple process of elimination, this does not leave anyone who can get Distant Networks from Dish Network Corporation, except for registered RV owners.

Currently, Dish Network customers who qualify for Distant Networks can get them on their Dish Network receivers from "All American Direct", a separate and independent company. Since it offers none of the local markets (other than SF or NY), it does not have to worry about that FCC rule.

Dish will be offering all 210 local markets on June 3rd.

FCC rules prohibit a customer from being offered Distant Networks instead of (or in addition to) their local market Networks.

By simple process of elimination, this does not leave anyone who can get Distant Networks from Dish Network Corporation, except for registered RV owners.

Currently, Dish Network customers who qualify for Distant Networks can get them on their Dish Network receivers from "All American Direct", a separate and independent company. Since it offers none of the local markets (other than SF or NY), it does not have to worry about that FCC rule.

I don't know what "FCC rules" are involved but I always thought that the definition of an unserved household in STELA and the predecessor laws has to do with the ability of a household to receive a signal by antenna----not whether the satellite carrier carries the network affiliates.

According to at leat one article I found there might actually be MORE people eligible for distant nets now since the definition of "antenna" is a bit different.

I also thought that AAD customers only qualified for distants because they lived (or claimed to live) in areas without adequate reception. You could not simply get distants because AAD did not offer your locals as that had no bearing on whether you qulaified for distants.

Last edited:
AAD is an independent satellite company (and has be ruled as such by the Federal Courts). If you can't receive a network via an antenna, you qualify for distant networks whether or not you also subscribe to Dish.

Exactly TNGTony

I called AAD a month or so ago to see if I qualify. According to them my cabin address qualifies for all but CBS which is the same as what I qualified for with Dish back in 05/06 before they lost the ability to sell distants
Only local in the area is CBS

so technically one can sub to AAD for distants and locals through Dish, Lots of folks right now probably do that

Exactly TNGTony

I called AAD a month or so ago to see if I qualify. According to them my cabin address qualifies for all but CBS which is the same as what I qualified for with Dish back in 05/06 before they lost the ability to sell distants
Only local in the area is CBS

so technically one can sub to AAD for distants and locals through Dish, Lots of folks right now probably do that

In Puerto Rico I used to have AAD but the picture quality is bad since the tower of our locals are in the west part of the Island and are Low Power everybody qualifies

I don't know what "FCC rules" are involved but I always thought that the definition of an unserved household in STELA and the predecessor laws has to do with the ability of a household to receive a signal by antenna----not whether the satellite carrier carries the network affiliates.
Once upon a time. But when SHERVA was updated for HD Distants, the following 2 restrictions were added:

1) HD DNS must be in a time zone that is the same time or later (except for AK & HI). ie, no East Coast feeds for anyone in Mountain or Pacific.
2) If a Local affiliate is offered by the provider, than no DNS is allowed for that network.

When those rules came out, Directv applied them to SD as well. Dish didn't, but soon got banned from offering any DNS so the issue about HD/SD became mute.

AAD only applies them against HD though, so West Coasters can get East Coast SD feeds, but not HD feeds. Also since AAD doesn't offer any locals, they can offer SD and/or HD feeds to anyone who qualifies.

Once upon a time. But when SHERVA was updated for HD Distants, the following 2 restrictions were added:

1) HD DNS must be in a time zone that is the same time or later (except for AK & HI). ie, no East Coast feeds for anyone in Mountain or Pacific.
2) If a Local affiliate is offered by the provider, than no DNS is allowed for that network.

When those rules came out, Directv applied them to SD as well. Dish didn't, but soon got banned from offering any DNS so the issue about HD/SD became mute.

AAD only applies them against HD though, so West Coasters can get East Coast SD feeds, but not HD feeds. Also since AAD doesn't offer any locals, they can offer SD and/or HD feeds to anyone who qualifies.

Thanks derwin. I was unaware of that and it conflicts with some other cites but I believe you.

How to get HD for Life Free via your account setup

Sling 700U release Date ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)