So how do I install these things?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
livin said:
My second install on Wednesday is in an apt complex and the info you sent me says you need a surge suppresor for such an install. Is it at all possible to ground a unit to an apt complex? If not, where can I get the proper surge suppresor and how much will it run me approximatley? I did a site survey and didn't see anything i could really ground to. What kind of things would a person normally ground to? Im assuming cold water pipes and gutters are ok. Is this correct?

Iivin ,
i hope you are joking on the gutter part. Your first gounding source is a bonded ground at the electric box 2. water that is within 5ft of entry. the Surge you can pick up about anywhere as long as you can run your coax into you will be fine (price 10.00-100.00) depend on what you buy and where you get it check out LOWES< BEST BUYS> RADIO SHACK and etc. they all have them at different prices.

t

livin said:
My origional equipment list specifies that I need 3" and 1.5" lag bolts, but it doesn't specify the width of what I need! At the moment I have 3/8 inch but im thinkin that is too big. This question only reinforces the fact that im really new in the field, but again id appreciate any help you can give.

i use 1/4 x 2 1/2 leg screw we use these so you don't have to change you socket so much. 7/16 that is what size most of the bolt are on you dish your fittings and my leg bolts.

t

ME WANT BANANAS ME WANT BANANAS ME WANT BANANAS
If you think a damn monkey could PROPERLY install a off air HD antenna on a high def DVR connected to rear projection with an DVI-HDMI conversion cable,then auto configure the 95 degree bird on a wire dish, in a 72.5 market, then I better start hiring some damn chimps.

I Was Just Kidding!!

Im just a dumb kid man. I was just jokin about the monkey thing! It was only a comparison suggesting that installing is easy. I was wrong, and I apologize!

TYORK said:
i use 1/4 x 2 1/2 leg screw we use these so you don't have to change you socket so much. 7/16 that is what size most of the bolt are on you dish your fittings and my leg bolts.

t

Here's a good tip, if you want a really neat install on a brick wall. Use ¼" x 1" (or 1½") drive nail anchors. You hold the mast mount against the wall and get it level, mark the 4 holes at each corner. drill them with a ¼" masonry bit slide the anchors through the mast mount holes into the brick and tap the little nail in them with a hammer. Put directly into the brick you can do chin-ups off the mast once done. To remove them simply drill out the nail in the center of each anchor w a 1/8" bit or use a chisle & hammer to snap off the head of the anchor. You can get these anchors at most Ace, Lowe's or Home Depot's for about $.20-.30 each. A heck of a lot less trouble than using lag bolts with lead shields. I always had problems with the lag bolts heads shearing off just before they got full seated against the mast mount, that's why I switched to this type anchors for brick (works good for cinder/concrete block too).

livin said:
Im just a dumb kid man. I was just jokin about the monkey thing! It was only a comparison suggesting that installing is easy. I was wrong, and I apologize!

Don't sweat it. Found you another site for info (didn't realize it but there is a sticky at the top of this forum regarding training and installation info). I took a quick look and there is a link there to a series of websites and online videos that explain the installation process, pretty cool and as informative as what I got in my SBCA class. Check it out today/tonight it should help you with your installs tomorrow. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59027
P.S. the video in the first hometech.com link

Livin, jus a little heads up, make sure the resident has permission from the apartment manager or leasing agent or someone to install that sysstem before you do anything to that building. Or you may be calling your insurance company pretty soon.

P.S. I hope you do have insurance.

A Blessing In Disguise

As it turns out UPS didn't get my equipment here until Wednesday afternoon anyway, so those installs were reassigned. I was pretty nervous about f-in something up anyway. Ive done a lot of practicing on my own place already with my equipment. Its not as hard as I thought i'd be, but it still took me a little time to figure it out. Monkeys DEFINITLEY couldn't do this job. Thanks for the cement mounting tip uboat. I wish I knew that one when working for Global Net!

livin said:
As it turns out UPS didn't get my equipment here until Wednesday afternoon anyway, so those installs were reassigned. I was pretty nervous about f-in something up anyway. Ive done a lot of practicing on my own place already with my equipment. Its not as hard as I thought i'd be, but it still took me a little time to figure it out. Monkeys DEFINITLEY couldn't do this job. Thanks for the cement mounting tip uboat. I wish I knew that one when working for Global Net!

Hey your more than welcome Livin, hope you SBCA class & test go well. If you need anything just give me a shout, I'm usually lurking around here somewhere in the Directv forums.

Welcome to installin "livin"... make sure you check back to this site often and just read some of the forums, you will learn so much from here.... also, if you ever have any questions, let us know... my wife hates it, but i come on this site daily to check up and see if there is anyone that needs advice, as i know a lot of other installers do...
also, the SBCA testing isn't real hard, it's nice if you have at least a little bit of installing experience, but it's not necessary... just pay attention to the instructor and you should do fine.

All that you need to do is run one rg6 from each reviever to the dish, & terminate in a 3X4 switch if you have an 18" dish . If you have a triplesat it has a 4 port switch built in. You are right, any monkey can do satellite installs, even the customer, you can buy one at Best Buy, take it home and install it, turn it on and make it work if you can READ. There are many "professional" installers around who no longer drive trucks and are offended when they are referred to as a monkeys, let us not offend them,Enjoy Montana.

dish
livin said:
Im a new subcontractor in Montana for Directv with absolutley 0 expierience in Satellite installations. I have a lot of experience in broadband installs, which people tell me are harder to install. I found a manuel for normal installs and it looks like any monkey can do it. However, my first assigned install is for 3 recievers and im not entirely sure how to do a 3 reciever install. Can anyone tell me a detailed site to go to for installation instructions? If there are any other installers out there can you tell me how to do a 3 reciever install? Also does anyone have any tips for installing? What are some common problems that you run into? Any information on installing would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proposed Satellite TV tax in Nevada (AB151)

Hd Stb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)