So I had Dish installed yesterday :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
Everything went fine, the installer finished a little before noon, and I went off to work.

I was watching TV on my joey (small, slave receiver) last evening about 8 PM, and saw a message that I had a remote software update and could cancel it by pressing any key. I pressed any number of keys, but the update wouldn't cancel. I gave up, left the receiver updating, switched inputs on my TV, and watched the rest of my game on mlbtv.com.

As of today, the joey's remote does not work. It can change the volume on my TV, but can't do anything on the joey itself. I've changed the remote batteries, reset the receiver, unplugged it for ten minutes, and even pressed the find remote button on it. The remote was about three feet away and remained silent. I finally unpaired the remote and receiver and pressed SAT on the remote (I have a model 52.0, BTW). "SAT" lit up brightly near the top of the remote, but I heard nothing.

I called Dish support tonight, told them all of this, had to go through each of these steps again and was then told it would cost $25 dollars to have a new remote sent overnight to me. My system worked less than a day, and I have to pay for a new remote?!?

I have an installer coming on Saturday to put a pole in the ground (have to check for gas lines, etc) The Dish rep suggested that I ask him for a new remote. Apparently I am to manually scroll through America's Top 200 for the next three nights. I finally hung up when he tried to convince me that unpairing my one working remote from the hopper downstairs and pairing it with my joey as needed might be a solution.

I would very much appreciate something more encouraging from DIRT than what I got from calling 800-333-3474.

Thank you,

Will N. in Mid-Missouri

On your TV, press Power, on your Joey, press Power and let it boot up. Next, on the Joey, Press System Info. You should see the Diagnostic screen on the TV. Now, on the Joey remote, press the Satellite button. You should hear 3 beeps and you should see your remote come up on the right side of the Diagnostic screen. The remote should work now.

It is possible that the 52 Remote got interrupted in the middle of an update for the remote and that caused the remote to stop working. If that is the case Dish should replace the remote for free. Your installer should be able to do that.

I assume that you have already tried the following:
1) Press the System Info button on your Joey. Make sure that your 52 Remote is not displayed. If it is shown hit the select button and unpair the remote.
2) Assuming that your remote is not displayed on the Diagnostics page, hit the Sat button on the remote while on this Diagnostics page.
3) This should pair the remote and it should show up.
4) If it does not show up, Dish owes you a new remote for free.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's a software glitch. A lot of people on the tech portal have complained about customers who say the remote stopped working. What dweber said is accurate and after it pairs again, if the firmware didn't update correctly, it will again

Hi, Will94!

It sounds like the $25 might have been the cost to expedite the shipping, rather than the cost of the actual remote. DISH will cover the cost of the remote. However, if you do have the DISH Protect Plan on your account, the standard 2-4 day shipping is covered in full and you would not have to pay out of pocket.

Additionally, I would suggest to manually un-pair the remote first, then try to pair it back up to the receiver. To do so, follow these steps:

Press and hold the SAT mode button until all mode lights on the top of the remote light up.

Let go once they light up.

Then, press and hold DVR and Guide at the same time for 5 seconds
(if successful, you will hear three descending tones after five seconds.)

Press the "System Info" button on the Joey. It will take you to the Diagnostics screen.

With the remote, press and release the SAT button once on your remote.
(if successful, you will hear three ascending tones after five seconds.)

The remote should then appear on the right side of the screen. Let us know if this helps!

-Christina W.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Christina, I held down the SAT button for one minute. SAT lights up on the top of the remote, but nothing else does. Holding DVR+Guide also lights up SAT, but it doesn't do anything more. I never get any sounds. I'd un-paired the remote and receiver last night.

Thanks for trying that for us, Will94! Just to be clear, did you attempt to get the remote paired back to the Joey and it wasn't successful? If you're still having problems with the remote, and haven't received a new one. We definitely want to help you out.
-Jessica M.

Shouldn't matter. Dish should be on the hook for a remote that's less than 24 hours old (to the customer).

Absolutely.

It’s like installing a dish the day before a snow storm and the customer looses signal due to snow on the dish.

You almost have an obligation as a dealer/installer to go back and clear the snow off the dish.

Not that it’s our responsibility but rather you don’t want to start on the wrong foot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)