So I put it to sleep...

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I disconnected my 622 and pulled the plug. I connected the OTA feed to my old voom box and watch OTA programming in peace. I have to calm down, because I can't put up with this substandard equipment anymore. If I don't do this, I'll probably throw it out the window. This is my 3rd 622, and they get worse every time. Every morning, I wake up to a black screen and 100+ lost locks. Once I reboot, it's back. Until next morning. I can't watch OTA prgramming without reboots every 20 minutes. I can't have a thunderstorm, because once the signal is lost, it'll never come back until I clear switch matrix, and run check switch and reboot, even though the storm is long gone. I can't check signal strengths, because it'll cause the 622 to ignore any LNB's and switches. I had to kill it, and I don't know whether I cancel Dish, or wait a week or two to cool off. They won't exchange that one another time, I strongly believe. BTW... NEW 1000.2 with excelent signal strengths, new wiring and connectors, grounding is correct. I have NO idea what else to do, other than pull the plug. I wish it would just die on it's own, so I don't have to worry anymore. :mad:

how HOT is it?

since you've obviously got lots of problems that can be easily reproduced, try removing the cover, make sure lots of cool airflow available, and see if it helps anything.

Mike I'm not sure they want to keep my business anymore, since they sent me the 3rd replacement. They don't make money on me anymore. I am just sick of this. You get to the point where it's enough. I have exchanged every little thing that goes with the setup. There's nothing left to replace.

Is D* equipment just as bad?

how HOT is it?

since you've obviously got lots of problems that can be easily reproduced, try removing the cover, make sure lots of cool airflow available, and see if it helps anything.

Average temp is 125F. The unit is on top of my CD changer, which is turned off most of the time. There's about 3 feet of space on either side and abot 5 feet of space above it. Room temperature is at a steady 77F and it is not exposed to sunlight. ALL units had the same average temperature showing (B,C,E-series) The reboots always occur on the same OTA channels (Channel 2 NBC, Channel 23 FOX), EVEN when the unit is turned OFF and left at either channel. The old unit at least had none of the other issues. Since the new 1000.2 is installed you CANNOT check SS on 129 channels, because it will lock up INSTANTLY, and you have to clear the switch matrix, then reboot and then run check switch again to get it back to life. I don't think the 1000.2 support is implemented right. No LNB drift detected by the way. It's always GOOD.

I believ, when I installed the new 622 with the old 1000 still up there, which had the faulty LNB's still on there (LNB drift), that the initial software download got corrupted. And that's why the machine goes awry now.

Echostar really does have some major hardware manufacturing problems. I would bet they would be better off in the long run if they would stop making their receivers on the cheap and produced a quality product.

Actually the dish receivers have improved a ton since they started. They are better than Directvs now. THe problems are in the installs and how they are done. Sometimes you can have problems because of cables not being installed right, lnb being defective , the heat situation on your receiver- installed in a closed cabinet with no airflow or stacked on top of other components. They need to send you a Dish tech out and let them go through all the motions to see where the problem is. If you write to the ceo@echostar.com they will most likely do that and fix your problems.

I have had Dish for over 10 and a half years. Yes over the years I have had to learn an entire new way to fix problems with their receivers , but that being said ,the 622s I have now are very good receivers. I know that sometimes the switch check matrix needs to be cleared to fix problems. To do so all you have to do is unplug the sat coax cables from the receiver and run a check switch. Then re add the cables an run it again and it usually will clear the matrix and fix most problems.
Also sometimes the diplexors you use or the dishpro seperators go bad and have to be replaced. I have had to do the above check switch fix on all 3 of my 622s at different times when I first got them . I also had to replace my diplexors I used to receive ota along with satellite , and the dishpro seperators.

I think that if you write to the ceo they will send a tech out to check and find where your problems are . Please try the email before you give up. IT might be something as simple as I described above or the fact that they used bad coax or the wrong kind or that there is a tear or cut in the coax. Try the email and if that doesn't fix your problems then I would decide to cut my losses and cancel.

check all connectors for corrosion, check coax for damage. See if coax is rated at least for 2150 khz.

I have (3) 622's and they all are running great, I do have them all on battery backups as well as my projection and LCD TV's. I was reading that just 1 power failure and improper bulb cool down can take 100's of hours off bulb life.

Last night I emailed ceo@echostar, and I didn't get a reply or anything. Seems like they had it with me. I am not surprised. DirecTV sounds better all the time...

Give it time. It typically takes 48-72 business hours for a response. Some times you will get one faster but that is about average. They are busy taking care of everyone that their normal support should be!

Well I have been on the phone with a Tech in the Dish Lab on Saturday several times, for a total of about 2 hours concerning my PITA 622. I described the trouble in detail, and he was impressed what efforts I took to hunt down what's wrong with it. He also told me that he has READ MY POSTS HERE!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
He told be that the issues I describe are really odd, and said he'll get off the phone and into the Lab, to hook a 622 to a 1000.2 and try to duplicate the issues. GUESS WHAT?

He called me back and told me that he could duplicate most of the issues I have, and that it must be software related. Means apparently the 622 must have software related issues with handling the triple LNBF from the 1000.2, especially the bugs related to the Check Switch and Point Dish screen function. He said he'll get together with the Software Engineers on Monday and show them his discoveries, to see if they can do something about it.
He said it seems, that he'll probably have a Field Engineer come to my house, to check the usual stuff like connections, cables etc., but he also wants to swap the triple LNBF for a new one, and if that doesn't help, then it IS related to the 622 software having troubles with the triple LNBF, and then have the guy replace it with a W-bracket and three Dual LNBF's and switches instead.
Well it's kinda hard to believe, that the triple LNBF is already bad. I just got the new 1000.2 from Dishstore about 2 weeks ago.

He is keeping a very close eye on the threads and posts here, he said, because this gives him an idea what kind of troubles customers experience with their hardware. He also said it's especially valuable, since people here on this forum are educated and know what they're talking about. This all helps alot in further development. I got an indepth insight in some more technical details about the 622 software, and what it does in details. It was a very nice conversation, and even though I am still putting up with this PITA 622, I had the feeling somebody CARES!:up
However, I am still running some tests for him until tuesday, and he's calling me back then, to see how it developed.
So if there's more people out there with a 622 AND a 1000.2, I kindly ask you guys to try to see if your setup has similar issues and post it here. The guy I talked to WILL read this! People, I think this is a good thing, because it will help EVERYBODY in the end. The ones with the most trouble, will get helped sooner than if they would just wait and see.

I am so glad to hear you got a positive response to your problem! Keep us updated on the continuing saga.

I am so glad to hear you got a positive response to your problem! Keep us updated on the continuing saga.
i havnt heard anyone asking if you have checked to see if your electrical outlit is pushing more than 110watts to the 622 because that will cause all of the problems that you are saying. you can get new software and have a perfict install but if you have to many wats going to the 622 then it is not made to downconvert the higher watage and the 622 will stay hot and more power will go through your lines that the equipment can not handle such as barrels, the LNBF, Cable and off corse the recevior other equipmen such as your tv is a power hog so it will not affect them but the receviors are sensitive to power

One thing, I noticed you live in Oklahoma. My 811 has had problems with same local channels as your 622. So I doubt it is software specific to 622.

My 811: I can select some local channels, but if I select 23, 34 (OKC CW), and channel 2 (maybe others), it locks up, reboots (on my 811 takes about 3-4 minutes) and then depending on what channel I was on (before local channel)goes back to another station with no other problems. If it don't, then I get a roboot loop, over and over until I go directly to EPG after it gets done locking satellite signal.

I have had this issue with my 811 for about 6 months now. I called and I e-mailed, call received same old thing "there will be a software fix", e-mail, NEVER heard anything back. I don't even mess with my OTA locals anymore, other than every month or so, to check to see if issue is fixed or not. Recently as 2 weeks ago when those storms were going through, I was trying to use it to check on weather (satellite signal was too low for satellite channels, but I was able to view my OTA channels (all other OTA channels work fine for me, just those three, I have channel 9, 14, 13, 11, 23, 25, 34, 41, 43, 52, 62, available to me, channels 6 and 2 are weak, but I can lock them in most of the time), because I still had satellite signal, and I was trying to look at all stations to see what info I could). Kept locking up on me then, and therefore ended up using cell phone, LOL.

Anyways, don't know if it is Dish software (Dish receivers aren't very good DTV receivers IMHO, ghosting, weak signal, etc. are a real issue with them) or if it is our local channels broadcasting something that reacts badly with software.

I have a DISH500 with a DP Quad BTW, no 1000.2 dish. Other than this issue with my 811, both of my 301's and everything else with my 811 work ok (as far as I know, LOL).

Last edited:
i havnt heard anyone asking if you have checked to see if your electrical outlit is pushing more than 110watts to the 622 because that will cause all of the problems that you are saying. you can get new software and have a perfict install but if you have to many wats going to the 622 then it is not made to downconvert the higher watage and the 622 will stay hot and more power will go through your lines that the equipment can not handle such as barrels, the LNBF, Cable and off corse the recevior other equipmen such as your tv is a power hog so it will not affect them but the receviors are sensitive to power

My outlets measure a confirmed 121 Volts...

One thing, I noticed you live in Oklahoma. My 811 has had problems with same local channels as your 622. So I doubt it is software specific to 622.

My 811: I can select some local channels, but if I select 23, 34 (OKC CW), and channel 2 (maybe others), it locks up, reboots (on my 811 takes about 3-4 minutes) and then depending on what channel I was on (before local channel)goes back to another station with no other problems. If it don't, then I get a roboot loop, over and over until I go directly to EPG after it gets done locking satellite signal.

I have had this issue with my 811 for about 6 months now. I called and I e-mailed, call received same old thing "there will be a software fix", e-mail, NEVER heard anything back. I don't even mess with my OTA locals anymore, other than every month or so, to check to see if issue is fixed or not. Recently as 2 weeks ago when those storms were going through, I was trying to use it to check on weather (satellite signal was too low for satellite channels, but I was able to view my OTA channels (all other OTA channels work fine for me, just those three, I have channel 9, 14, 13, 11, 23, 25, 34, 41, 43, 52, 62, available to me, channels 6 and 2 are weak, but I can lock them in most of the time), because I still had satellite signal, and I was trying to look at all stations to see what info I could). Kept locking up on me then, and therefore ended up using cell phone, LOL.

Anyways, don't know if it is Dish software (Dish receivers aren't very good DTV receivers IMHO, ghosting, weak signal, etc. are a real issue with them) or if it is our local channels broadcasting something that reacts badly with software.

I have a DISH500 with a DP Quad BTW, no 1000.2 dish. Other than this issue with my 811, both of my 301's and everything else with my 811 work ok (as far as I know, LOL).

Sounds like the same stations do that. But your Locals are from OKC, and mine come from Tulsa. Unless the stations here and there use the same equipment, and the other stations use different equipment.

Ralfy,

Sorry to hear all the trouble you are going through. Like I said in another thread, I do have a 622 and a 1000.2 but I'm not experiencing all the problems you are. I do have problems with the lost locks, and if I disconnect 129 from the switch or LNB the 622 loses 129 and I need to run check switch again. 119 and 110 are fine if I disconnect them. This doesn't happen with any other receiver. I must add that I have a DPP44 switch in between the 622 and the 1000.2.

Don't have the OTA problems you're having either but I do have them with the 211. There's a couple of channels that I can't watch upstairs and they come in at 100%. There are days when they just simply work and others when all I get it macroblocking but they are at 100%.

Hope Dish Network can take care of your problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts