So is Smithsonian gone forever from Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeslevine

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I am hearing rumors that they are in negotiations, and am curious if anyone knows?

If this one was a lost cause they would have pulled the plug on the channel and the guide data rather than mirroring C&I on Smithsonian and keeping it listed in the guide...

This is Dish's olive branch as long as they get the price they want.

Yes, it's gone forever, so long as you connect the definition of "forever" with the definition of "soon." Or until they reach an agreement.

With only 200 hours of new programming coming out of Smith this year, I'm not sure I want them to reach an agreement. Certainly not for any increase in cost. Might be better to stand firm on this one, and say after you've added X hours new programming, and commit to a minimum of Y hours of new programming each year, come talk to us.

Certainly not for any increase in cost.

The platinum package is the most massively overpriced package DISH has aside from some international channels. I would bet they can afford to double the amount they spend on programming fees and still make a huge profit.

They've got to be bleeding Platinum subscribers. I drop it, they offer it to me for free, Free period is up, and I'm about to drop it again. They need to be increasing the channels in the package, not dropping them. It's a horrible deal, and everyone knows it.

Yes they are still in talks, and from the signs I have received it looks like they could resolve this one.

Scott, I have the HD Absolute. Will I get back my Smithsonian and will they take away C&I. They can have C&I, I want my Smithsonian Channel back. I don't see anything on C&I that are not already on TNT, USA, etc.

Boy am I gonna be ticked off if Smithsonian returns and Dish doesn't add it back into the HD Absolute package.......:eek:

I was paging through the guide and noticed that the Smithsonian channel's "Important News - Press Info" reverts back to regular Smithsonian programming beginning Saturday at 5pm. Interesting?

Doesn't make sense for them to move the channel from the old bird to the new one if they intended on deleting it...

Uplink report from today, here
374 - SMITH [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 07 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 17 ConUS beam (A)
4274 - SMITH [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 07 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 17 ConUS beam (A) (H)
5371 - SMITH [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 07 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 17 ConUS beam (A) (H)

sure it does, if they moved all the channels on that transponder so they can use it for something else.

Maybe we'll know something tomorrow afternoon. Seems we'd get a heads up or hint from Scott before such a thing would happen, though.

It's been showing the "press info" on the trickle guide, and then the other stuff later. I wouldn't make much of it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)